Rootbound Gardenia Frostproof: need advice, please

mamuang_gwApril 16, 2013

Hello,

I picked up a Frostproof gardenia from Logee's today. It's severely rootbound. Should I cut the bottom end of the root off to help new roots grow? If not, how do your untangle such a root condition, please?

I've read somewhere that gardenia does not like being transplanted. I plan to plant it in the ground once the weather is warmer. Any advice to help me successfully transplant it is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I have a Frostproof in ground and it had to be moved two years ago for construction. It had been in the ground two years previously. It did fine, didn't mind being transplanted at all. I would try to untangle some of the roots and pot it up one size larger. You'll be amazed at how fast the roots will grow into the new pot, and it will make it that much stronger when you plant it in the ground in a month or so.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:10PM
mamuang_gw

Thank, Bill.

My next question is how would you suggest re. untangle the roots, please?

If it's other perennials, I usually either cut the bottom of the rootball off about an inch or cut vertically on 4 sides from top to bottom (roots shaped like its square pot).

It seems different people untangle rootbound plants differently. I just don't want to kill this gardenia. Thanks.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 6:16PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I think I would gently pull them apart, not cut anything. I don't think it's as delicate as you might think. Also, I don't think you have to unwrap all of the roots. I think once it's in the ground and with TLC given to any new planting, it will thrive and grow plenty of healthy roots.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:21AM
mamuang_gw

Thank you, Bill. The roots are tightly bound so I am not sure if I can gently pull them apart. I will try.

Glad to hear that it's done well with you in the ground. It gives me hope.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Philadelphia Flower Show photo
Burke Brother’s Nursery / This was my favorite -...
hunt4carl
Spray-N-Grow Product any good?
Anyone use or success/failures with the Spry-N-Grow...
NorthHadley
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™