Oakland sale

gardengirl_17(z5 OH)June 22, 2005

Today Oakland nursery started their annual "appreciation" sale - otherwise known as the "please buy our plants before they croak in the heat sale" . Everything is at least 20% off. I left with a Miscanthus 'Morning Light' to replace the dwarf white pine at the end of the driveway that some kid killed when they crashed their bike and landed on it breaking the main trunk ;) 2 african daisies and 1 Helenium Wyndley.

I have never grown Helenium before. Please tell me it's not as much of a thug as the Black eyed susans I ripped out this spring!

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigoose(Z5OH)

Nope. Helenium isn't a thug....at least it hasn't been for me....

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 11:27PM
sage_lover(z6 OH)

Only problem I have heard about is taller varieties may need staking. Shorter sturdier cultivars do not. Is this nursery in columbus? If so, I have been there. Impressive place.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 5:38PM
alison(6b/OH)

I've only gone to the one on North Broadway, apparently the one out in the 'burbs is 10 times as large.

I picked up 4 "rose campion" there over the weekend for $2 each; half price. But they don't look like any rose campion I've ever seen before. They are extremely full flowers, in fact, they look exactly like white mini-carnations. At this point in the season I would suspect they were mislabelled, but a whole tray of 12 plants had the same printed labels.

Anyone know this variety?

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 6:52PM
gardengirl_17(z5 OH)

I've never seen a double rose campion Alison but you never know! I've only been to the store off of North Broadway too. It's plenty big enough for me! LOL. I refer to this store and Bakers Acres as "my happy places". :) If I've had a hard day or week at work, sometimes I just tell the DH I'm going to my happy place and he understands!

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 10:40PM
alison(6b/OH)

Well, it turns out the reason it doesn't look anything like a rose campion is that it isn't a rose campion even though it says rose campion on the labels.

It's actually a silene. "Swan Lake". I think I may go back and pick up a few more if their still there!

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 12:13PM
sage_lover(z6 OH)

Have only been to the nursery on Oakland Park Ave. It is worth checking out. Did not see one bad looking plant in the place! Wish this place was down here in cincinnati, but we have some good places too.

As my brother lives in columbus, I would be interested in other nurseries to go to such as Baker's Acres. Places with quality plants & reasonable prices.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Pepper Plants and black Plastic
I have always wanted to have a nice crop of Pepper...
joetoe
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio
Hi All - My knock out roses are barely showing signs...
pauladd1963
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Sponsored Products
P563 Wall Sconce (Opal/Stainless Steel) - RETURN by George Kovacs
$110.00 | Lumens
Oakland Living Vineyards Verdi Grey Outdoor Screen
$314.79 | LuxeDecor
Standard Floral Sham - WHITE/ FLORAL (STANDARD)
$79.90 | Horchow
Oakland Raiders Romano Salad Bowl & Servers Set
$39.99 | zulily
Bover | Cornelia 02 Chandelier
YLighting
Oakland Living Rochester Wrought Iron Dining Set
LuxeDecor
Oakland Living Tea Rose Cast Aluminum Metal Arm Antique Pewter Bench
$629.79 | LuxeDecor
Oakland Living Rochester Wrought Iron Metal Arm Rocker Bench
$314.79 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for: