mass cover for long retaining wall--arabis? aubretia? lithodora?

moonfleateMarch 2, 2008

Seeking advice on mass planting for a long south-facing (but shaded by trees) brick retaining wall. The wall is about five feet high and over a hundred feet long. At the moment I'm thinking of a mass of just one or two types of cascading plant--something with a good 'structural' texture, and that stays green in winter. I have seen some impressive cascading arabis and aubretia, but I am wondering if the wall will be sunny enough to promote good growth, as-- though south-facing-- it is shaded by a long line of trees. And would such plants take years to grow? Masses of lithodora can be breath-taking, but again I wonder how well it will do in partial shade (or would you call that "filtered sunlight"?)

I will try to attach an image to this posting. This is my first post, so bear with me if I get it wrong.

(follow-up during message preview; I see no 'upload photo' option on this forum, so perhaps I can later figure out a way to make a URL link)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

your post with a link to the picture
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg0311460515850.html

Here is a link that might be useful: the picture

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 2:15PM
moonfleate

Thank you Jean for adding the image link to this posting.

I made a mistake in my original posting. I was thinking of the gorgeous blue-flowering CEANOTHUS, not lithodora.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 2:36PM
gardengal48

Ceanothus, lithodora, prostrate rosemary, helianthemums and most of the typical cascading rockery plants would prefer a full sun location although a south facing wall, despite the shade cast by large trees, may be enough of an exposure to encourage the earliest bloomers to flower (before the trees fully leaf out). But none have an especially long bloom season anyway. Creeping phlox will tolerate a shadier situation as will the creeping campanulas like C. poscharkyana or portenschlagiana and their hybrids. Some hardy geraniums might work, as well.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 4:03PM
moonfleate

Thank you Gardengal for your advice. I'm going to google all the plants you mentioned and learn what I can about them.

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™