Where to get trees in Northwest Ohio

toledogardenJuly 18, 2010

Hi,

I'm a new homeowner, and would like to add a few trees to backyard. Not finding much in the area. Been to Lowe's, Home Depot, Meijer, Menards, Anderson's. They all have pretty much the exact same trees, none of them what I'm looking for.

Trying to find Catalpa tree and Crimson King maple. Also looking for Weeping cherry and Flowering Pear, although I've found a couple of the Cherry, just in pretty poor shape at Meijer. Can't even find flowering pears anywhere.

Woodville rd. nursery had a lot of the trees I'm looking for, but wouldn't sell them till fall, and wanted an outrageous amount.

I see flowering pear and crimson maple everywhere driving around, so there must be somewhere to get them.

Any Suggestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

The big box stores might get fresh stock in for the fall planting season--so check back. They sometimes surprise me with what they get, although I've never seen catalpa anywhere. I see flowering pear for sale everywhere in the spring.

I wouldn't have wanted to plant in July either--except for the plants and shrubs that I got on clearance.

Did you ask at Andersons if they could get your picks for you? Does the Arboretum have a sapling sale in the fall?

Flowering pears are so common and overused down here, and are pretty weak trees to boot. I could send you some seedlings since they sprout everywhere.

If you are willing to start with baby trees, you could check the ArborDay foundation website to mail order.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Oak trees.... Starting from acorns, need help
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this but I hope someone...
Cornell-plantintrees
What is this vine?
I would love to know what this vine is. it has came...
rhondals_2006
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Blue Spruce trees dying
Was there some kind of fungus or something that killed...
lindaw-cincy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™