Recommendations for Fruit & Nut Yard Trees

dave_xeniaJuly 28, 2010

I am moving to a home in the Xenia Ohio area and the yard is a clean slate. I am a long time gardener but have never put my hand at fruit or nut trees.

This is my question ... of the different fruit & nut varieties, if you wanted a good looking yard tree, something that a novice could handle the trimming, and I would like to avoid the use of chemical sprays near my home ... pretty much I am looking for the lowest maintanance tree that would give me a fruit or a nut while being handsome at the same time.

Is there such a perfect tree? What would be your choice?

Dave

PS. I am thinking in the area Plumbs, Mallberries, and my kids (and my bees) would just adore a cherry tree.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Illinois Everbearing mulberry - fast-growing, will make a great 'shade tree' in just a few years, makes a nice climbing tree for kids, and produces lots of top-quality tasty berries for about 6 weeks in early summer. Few pests - but you'll have to battle the birds for the berries.
Shagbark hickories have multi-season interest - big buds that look like tulips when they're unfolding, neat exfoliating bark, and warm golden fall color - and tasty nuts, if a bit tough to crack.
Northern pecan makes a great shade tree - but there need to be 2 or 3 varieties or seedling trees in the area to get decent crops of nuts.
Heartnut(J.ailantifolia var cordiformis) makes a great wide-spreading, almost tropical-looking tree, and the nuts are tasty, if a bit bland, for my taste.
Persimmons - American, Asian, and hybrids are all low-care/no-spray.

Check out Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery and England's Orchard & Nursery websites for good candidates.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
Ideas for School Playground
I am a teacher at a small independent school in Columbus,...
wackypack
are there poisenous snakes in eastern kentucky??
i've been thinking about moving there for a afew years...
donnaz5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™