Are your plants frying?

alison(6b/OH)July 3, 2012

I know this is an unusual growing year, but I'm seeing a lot of plants peaking and pooping out earlier than ever this year. And hosta that have done well for three years, are now frying in the same locations.

My mother's daylilies put up a few blooms a month ago in Cincinnati, and are now nothing more than puddles of dead brown leaves and stems.

It doesn't seem like were getting more sun, or significantly less water, but I noticed far more hot windy days this spring and early summer, and I know that can really stress plants.

Is anyone noticing similar problems this season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindaw-cincy(6)

yes mine are melting. It has been too hot. have to water my hanging baskets 2 times a day!

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 8:03PM
alison(6b/OH)

I'm glad I finally built a stand and got my rain barrel up and running. The extra height gives me enough pressure to run a soaker hose 20 feet away.

(Now I'm looking to see where else I can tuck rain barrels around the house....)

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 2:07PM
raee_gw

But Alison, it has to rain to fill those! Before the storm last week, I hadn't gotten rain in my yard (about 10 miles north of you I think) for over 3 weeks!) So I have been watering. I dread to see my water bill this quarter. It had gone up by $20 already on the spring bill.

Many things bloomed some 10 days ahead of last year, but others (like the old roses) were right on schedule. So far, most everything is holding on okay--lost a few potted seedlings and baby plants that I didn't keep up with well enough though.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 2:05PM
pigletcompany(Ohio)

My plants are doing great. I have 1 hosta, that was just planted last fall, and a peace lily, that isn't doing so good, but other than that...I water about every 3-4 days, soaking them pretty good, at about midnight. Almost all of my plants were rescues this year and all were nearly dead when I bought them for a buck or two. They are on the north side of my house. I will post some pics later!!!!

Hope your plants do okay!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:23AM
pigletcompany(Ohio)

Here are the pics of my plants.... Sorry...just now posting...

Have a great day!!
Carla

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...
...to my cat! What is it with Husker Red penstemon...
alison
Ground Cover
I'm looking for a low growing ground cover (preferably...
calendar
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
Fleur de Lis Garden Club Booth
Hello to any Louisvillians out there. Wanted to point...
highlandsgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™