Do you think my Shore Master is sporting?

funnthsun z7A - Southern VAAugust 16, 2013

Hello, Everyone!

One of these things is not like the others...

I noticed an eye on my Lakeside Shore Master that seems a bit different. This one is new to me, so I'm not familiar with how the new leaves color up. Is this just what Shore Master does, or do you think it could be sporting?

The first pic is that side of the plant, showing you the first two leaves at the bottom that are different. 2nd pic is the 2nd leaf on the left in the first pic. The rest of the pics are the rest of the 7 leaves on this eye. Only one of them (shown in the last pic) looks like Shore Master as of now. Note: The others in the first pic that look like Shore Master are on a different eye.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
idiothe(4 MN)

I'd reserve judgement on this one... LSM is kind of variable... color changes with the season, also variable from new leaf to old leaf... but there is also the possibility of it being a narrow-centered sport. All you can do is wait and see... AND...

that is way too big a plant for that little pot... get that bad boy into the ground or a couple gallon pot! That new foliage could be affected by stress...

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 4:23PM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

Thanks for the info on sporting. I'll keep an eye on this one.

As I said, I just got this one, so haven't repotted it yet, lol, it's been 1 whole week!

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 5:25PM
ci_lantro

I don't think it's doing anything different because those leaves look very much like the current second flush of leaves look like on my Shore Master. LSM is my favorite hosta this year. It's the new 'front door' hosta, replacing Holy Mole. HM got too much sun in that location to show a nice contrast so it got moved to more shade. LSM has been a great grower (planted last summer) and mine is keeping a blue/ green color with yellow centers. Doesn't get a whole lot of sun and no afternoon sun at all. Also have been a very cool summer here.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™