crepe myrtle

CTponderBecky(NC8)July 26, 2005

My sister lives outside Cincinnati, Ohio in Brown County.

after a stop in Williamsburg, VA on her way to CT she fell in love with the Crepe Myrtle tree. She was told that there is a hardy variety that can grow in Zone 6. Since her area is a 6-7 Zone, is there a crepe myrtle that she can plant. The area it would be planted in is protected from harsh winds, and receives sun all year long - at least a good part of the day. thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerchildky

Hi there,
I am in Louisville- zone 6 we have crepe myrtles that do very well! One at my Mom's house has been there a LONG time- over 20 years at least- she added another a few years ago and I have a miniature called "Hopi"- we got these at Lowe's hardware- no special hardy variety that I know of...

also, they are very, very easy to start from seed....If she would like to try it, I will be glad to collect some of the 3 colors we have...

I think she would have excellent results with crepe myrtle- one of my favs, because they bloom later in the season when so many summer favs have faded, and the blooms last a long time.

just let me know...
best wishes,
Linda in Louisville

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 11:01PM
michigoose(Z5OH)

If I remember correctly, the Indian named varieties are the hardier ones....I planted one in Meriden, CT and it croaked. I went to school in Williamsburg and worked for CW, so I can appreciate her liking the long and late bloom time.

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 12:49PM
cliff98(z6 OH)

They are starting to become very popular in Cincinnati. It seems many landscape centers are starting to carry them. Here in Cincinnati, with the exception of the hardy varieties like 'Hopi' and 'Zuni', crape myrtles will most likely suffer dieback for a few years until the roots are fully established. They are also in peak bloom right now, so there are easy to spot.

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 7:56PM
mike_g_(Zone 5b OH)

Good Seed in Adams Coubty near Peebles has several for $25.

Mike G

Here is a link that might be useful: Their web page

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
What area forums does Marion IL fit into?
I just moved from NW GA Georgia Gardening to Southern...
organic_gardenhag
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™