Salix Purpurea (Blue Arctic Willow)

kcail(6A KY USA)August 6, 2012

Hello... I am in Louisville in new construction and wanted to know if anyone here has planted a Blue arctic willow shrub. If so, have their been any issues with it (disease- fungal/insect) etc.

My neighbor has two but they are in a very different location than I would like to place mine. His are front yard, North facing but protected. Mine would be North facing, exposed to open field and a drainage ditch/culvert which is pretty moist most of the spring. Also, we have irrigation for the grass and the bush may get back blow from the sprinkler heads.

Just wanted to know before I start digging. The plant is rated to Zone 6 (although another site I saw claimed zone 8).

Thanks,

Kcail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Heythere, what did you decide?

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 10:48AM
kcail(6A KY USA)

I purchased two willows in 3 gal pots. So the plants are fairly small (18 in x 18 in) and kept them well watered because of our nasty drought. They went into fall ok, and I did have a few larger caterpillars on them, but it was easy to hand pick them off.

So they went into winter well, and I'm hoping that they make a great show in the spring.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 8:43PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Good to hear, good luck! Those may have been tiger swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. Salix purpurea is a host plant for them, but understandable if your plants weren't big enough to share as a meal.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Moving to KY
Hello! We're moving to KY (Owensboro) from that Dallas...
Marie79
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...
...to my cat! What is it with Husker Red penstemon...
alison
Blue Spruce trees dying
Was there some kind of fungus or something that killed...
lindaw-cincy
Is anyone growing Sarcococca?
I've heard humelis may be more hardy than has been...
BabyHelpful
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™