Why is my Lycoris Squamigera not blooming as much?

susiebuckeyeAugust 12, 2008

I have about 12 Lycoris Squamigera bulbs and only 3 are blooming. Do I need to fertilize them or should they be divided? They have been growing in the same spot for about 10 years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

They have been growing in the same spot for about 10 years.

This is what I discovered.

It takes a season or two for the bulbs to get established, and for you to see hopefully 12 blooms.
Those bulbs will multiply by growing, and then the bulb dividing/splitting, making 2 bulbs. They are much like any other bulb, that in time, there will be fewer and fewer blooms because they have grown too crowded. I'd suggest once they are finished blooming, and the flower stalk has dried somewhat, digging and dividing them up, so they won't be crowded.

I tend to try and do things when I have the time, and am thinking of it, so I don't know for sure what might be the best time for digging and dividing, and resetting them. Maybe someone else here has some input on that.

Sue

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 11:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alison(6b/OH)

I'd second that opinion, and I'm glad you asked.

I noticed this week that I have only 3 stalks from my plants. My situation may be exacerbated a little by the fact that the peonies and other plants I put in at the same time have really taken off, and there's more competition for light and water when it comes time for the flowers to bloom -- I certainly get a ton of leaves in the spring.

I would imagine early fall, once it cools off a bit, would be a good time to separate and transplant the bulbs. You might even get flowers next year if they have the fall and winter to adjust.

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
Oak trees.... Starting from acorns, need help
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this but I hope someone...
Cornell-plantintrees
What to plant along a stream?
WARNING: I'm a gardening novice so please forgive any...
GiantSycamore
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
Sponsored Products
My Friend Mickey Crib Bedding Set
$99.99 | zulily
Red Carpet Studios Garden Stone - Faithful Companion - 35186
$23.77 | Hayneedle
Hughes Leather Ottoman - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Baskets with Fabric Liner - Set of 3
$229.99 | Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Grass 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Polycarbonate Collection 1-Light Outdoor Whi
$19.26 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™