When to Plant Geraniums

martinpMarch 22, 2007

Every year I bring a few geraniums into the house for the winter. Last spring I planted one in the yard too early as a test, and it died. This year, I'm thinking of planting one when it stays above 40 deg F at night, but do you think that is still too cold for them?

By the way, I cut my geranium stems into 3 inch chunks, and stuck them in the ground all around my flowerbeds last summer, and I had geraniums everywhere by fall. It was really fun.

Martin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I'm in Z8 sometimes it's more like Z7, plants like Geraniums and other tender things I wait until all signs of frost are gone, rule of thumb in my area, is May 24, if we are having a warm Spring, Easter weekend.

A......

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 1:23PM
martinp

Ouch, May 24? Anyone else having troubles waiting that long? I'm so impatient. :P

Martin

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 1:44PM

Up here on Vancouver Island in April we usually get sudden Hail storms, they might be short but can do a lot of damage. The nursery I used to work in, this was many years ago, didn't even bring tender things in until May. The holding area for these was a lath house, I can remember a time when I had to wash Hail off the Petunias with a hose, to stop them from getting frosted. I've seen lettuce shredded to ribbons. Up here if one ventures to take a chance planting early, and I do sometimes, I cover the tender stuff with Remay cloth.

A......

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 2:07PM
grrrnthumb(z8 WA)

Where are you at Martin? The last frost date for Seattle is traditionally May 1, April 15 for some warmer pockets or if you can take some risks like Aftermidnight mentioned.
- Tom

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 2:14PM
martinp

Oh, thanks Tom. Sorry I forgot to say that I'm in Salem, Oregon. I wonder what a good date would be for here. Where did you get that info for Seattle? I suppose I could use that date, and feel safe.

Thanks,
Martin

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 2:37PM

Martin, if you just have a few things, Hot Caps work, Tom is right, find out the last frost date for your area and to be on the safe side, it wouldn't hurt to cover things for a week or two.

A......

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™