Snow Fountain Cherry didn't bloom

Jazmyn(Z5 Ohio)August 25, 2004

Hello all,

Last spring I bought my mom a snow fountain cherry tree, and it's growing like a weed. The tree was just done blooming when i bought it for her on mother's day last year.

However, this spring it didn't bloom at all. it got bundles of little florettes on it, but they were not the showy white blossoms that I was expecting. The tree looks very healthy, with lots of leaves, lots of new starts that I prune now and then to keep it's shape.

Is there something I should do now to make sure it blooms next spring?

thanx in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiogdnr(5b OH)

It may have gotten nipped by a frost. The cherries bloom so early that sometimes they get damaged right at the time we expect a big show! If it leafed out well this year and grew well, it will bloom next spring. Most years they bloom well. Be patient!

Bookmark   October 7, 2004 at 8:53AM
Jazmyn(Z5 Ohio)

ok...it's now mid may, and once again the tree has stubbornly refused to bloom. It did the same thing this year - it got tons of little bud clusters on it, and they've turned into little false-blooms (pale green, with a single stamen-like central hub).

my patience is wearing thin. This is the 3rd season it's refused to bloom. My mom wanted a beautiful weeping cherry covered with white blossoms....and she's gotten a trunk with long trailers, covered with lovely leaves in the summer, yes, but....

help???

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 7:50AM
granny57(6 Ohio)

Don't know anything about trees, But maybe it needs a pollinator. Is it the same tree you looked at in the nursery? I would go back where you bought it and see if they can solve the mystery.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 4:14PM
kjpryor_aol_com

My weeping cherry bloomed beautifully its first spring. This year, it had tons of buds but very few of them bloomed. Now it has leafed out. Does anybody have any ideas about why it would do this? Did the previous poster ever get a blooming tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Green Acres

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 11:58AM
Jazmyn(Z5 Ohio)

Nope, i still have the tree, and it has never bloomed, in 5 years. I've asked and been told to "be patient". Well, for a $113 well-grown snow fountain cherry, I've about had my fill of it.

further suggestions always welcome.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
What to plant along a stream?
WARNING: I'm a gardening novice so please forgive any...
GiantSycamore
Ideas for School Playground
I am a teacher at a small independent school in Columbus,...
wackypack
Pepper Plants and black Plastic
I have always wanted to have a nice crop of Pepper...
joetoe
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
Coneflowers turning black
My purple coneflowers are turning black and breaking...
jenrog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™