Dayton and surrounding area....

PIGEONBOB(Z5--OHIO)August 29, 2005

...looking for gardening buds in the Dayton area. I collect mainly perennials and unusual trees and shrubs and dabble in hybridizing. I would like to find a few folks to trade things with. Not all of the neat plant material can be found at nurseries, and I go for the unusual. So if you are somewhat of a collector and like to talk plants, then there are at least two of us. It is a stretch for me to post a message like this, but I have rarely met a gardener that I didn't have something in common with. So even if you are shy about meeting new people, so am I. Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigoose(Z5OH)

I do the same...except for the hybridizing and am new to the area....so I don't have anything to trade...yet. ;)

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 12:47PM
mrgpag

Bob - I was wondering if you got my e-mail, but I doubt it. It was in response to the one you sent me. Your mail box may have been full. And I now have forgotten what your topic of conversation was - maybe we oughta to try it again

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 11:10PM
ellenp(z5 OH)

Hi Bob! I have 2 acres just east of Xenia. This is my third summer on the property so my "collection" isn't that big yet plus this dry summer has set me back. I love to experiment with anything that grows but I am far from an expert. I wintersow and do a bunch of seed starting in my basement in the winter months so I always have a bunch of extras to share in the spring. I call it my therapy some people call it my obsession (-: I have also done some volunteer gardening at a local charity. I have always found that a gardener is rarely shy in the presence of another gardener. ellen

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 10:27PM
ellenp(z5 OH)

Bob,

I tried responding to your email and it was returned???

ellen

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 8:18PM
mrgpag

same happened to my e-mail replies - twice. Three strikes and your out is my policy

Bookmark   October 2, 2005 at 1:34PM
PIGEONBOB(Z5--OHIO)

To ellenp & mrgpag. I have no clue why I'm not getting your messages, I get emails every day from all over the country. I am so sorry this happened to you. I will send you both another message, my correct email has to be on it. Thanks for your patience. (I wondered why I hadn't heard from you, now I know).Bob

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 8:45AM
gillespiegardens(Z6 cinti ohio)

Hello Bob:

I live in Eastern Cincinnati and am always looking for gardening friends too. I have a fairly extensive collection of perennials, grasses etc. Maybe we can find something to trade sometime too. I'd also love to hear more about your hybridizing efforts.

Sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 12:23PM
ellenp(z5 OH)

Hi Bob,

I'll try resending my original email. ellen

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 6:55PM
vyrian(z6, OH 45069)

Hi all: Glad to see a thread in the Dayton area... I work in Dayton but live in Cincinnati. Right now I am getting into winter-sowing, as I am finding that caring for annuals like cosmos is as easy as perennial gardening. I am also starting to collect perennial seeds like black eyed susans, lambs ears, coneflower, iris (rhizomous), hibiscus, lavender, thyme, among others. Recently I collected a bunch of ornamental grass seeds -- will see how that turns out.

-CLK

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 1:51PM
PIGEONBOB(Z5--OHIO)

Ellen I got your message. My email changed and I tried to fix it on here, but apparently it is locked in. I will try again later. I collected about 100 'buckeyes' from one of my Horse Chestnut trees. I plan to try and grow them this spring, hoping maybe a variegated will show up. Not likely but I can't resist. Thanks for the note. Bob

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...
...to my cat! What is it with Husker Red penstemon...
alison
What to plant along a stream?
WARNING: I'm a gardening novice so please forgive any...
GiantSycamore
What is this vine?
I would love to know what this vine is. it has came...
rhondals_2006
are there poisenous snakes in eastern kentucky??
i've been thinking about moving there for a afew years...
donnaz5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™