Euphorbia Dieback

palustris81August 6, 2008

Hello all, I have a pair of fantastic perennial euphorbias of which I have lost the name (very unlike me)but which I believe to be one of the purple leaf varieties of Euphorbia amygdaloides. They have prospered for five years but this year have begun to wilt and die out originally on just a few branches but now all over. I am concerned I am losing them, luckily they have reproduced in other parts of the yard, but I am concerned that the area may not be suitable for euphorbia anymore if there is some sort of fungus (ie verticillum) which I should be concerned about. Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks,

Bennett

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiogdnr(5b OH)

Hi palustris81!

I've been watching this post for some time waiting to see if anyone has any ideas on the euphorbia problem. I have also had euphorbia die back for no apparent reason and am totally baffled. I work in the gardening industry and have posed the question to our grower, our customers, etc....but no go. Many of us have this dieback, but no idea why.

At first I thought maybe it was the hot dry summers we have...maybe they just don't like the combination of high temperatures, humidity and sporadic hand watering...which is nothing like rain! Mine always seem to do better in the spring and fall, look nice in the winter, and fail in the summer.

Hope you get a few other responses. I love euphorbias and would like to find a niche for them!

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
What area forums does Marion IL fit into?
I just moved from NW GA Georgia Gardening to Southern...
organic_gardenhag
Losing my Husker Red penstemon...
...to my cat! What is it with Husker Red penstemon...
alison
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
Ground Cover
I'm looking for a low growing ground cover (preferably...
calendar
are there poisenous snakes in eastern kentucky??
i've been thinking about moving there for a afew years...
donnaz5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™