Need ideas for morning shade and afternoon sun?

gardenbug(8b)March 15, 2011

Zone 8a, British Columbia

Can someone please help me with this?

I am looking for a list of plants that I can choose from that will grow well in morning shade and afternoons sun (from about 1:00 til sunset. Clay soil but has been ammended. The location is the North west side of my house where I have a perennial garden. So far, I have 3 rhodies (red blooms) that do well there. I've added a bit of heather but I need to get a few more plants or small evergreen shrubs. I have no idea what to plant there. Any ideas so I can have a list to choose from would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Being in the same family heathers generally need the same open soil texture as rhododendrons. If you have gotten the rhododendrons to do okay there you can probably assume the dirt is not so recalcitrant. Other plants recommended as companions for rhododendrons, including the pieris you have already gotten could be tried with some assurance that they will make it, too.

Not a 100% guarantee, but some assurance. It might not hurt to add some deciduous trees or shrubs like Japanese maples (hundreds of kinds to choose from) for contrast and maybe even some shade. Other good ones are redvein enkianthus and Eucryphia glutinosa, if you can find it around. And for that matter, deciduous azaleas.

Compatible evergreen shrubs not already discussed include leucothoe (mildew can be a problem - as it can be on some rhododendrons), camellias and Kalmia latifolia.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 11:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(8b)

Thanks again for helping me. I wish you were my next door neighbor lol.

Okay, what do these terms mean?
'open soil texture'
'the dirt is not so recalcitrant'

I like your idea of planting another maple, don't forget I still have my burgundy lace in the front lawn. I'll google the 'redveinenkianthus and Eucryphia glutinosa. Give me a couple of ideas for deciduous azaleas that would look good with the rhododendrons would you?

I really appreciate your help with this bboy.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™