Anyone growing palms in S Ohio?

andymc499(7)September 26, 2007

I was just wondering. I want to try growing some.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananasinohio(6OH)

Yep, check out Jurrasicdaytons photos. Also, at Miami U., in Oxford, Dr. Franko does research growing cold hardy balms, bananas, etc. Check out his book "Palms Won't Grow Here and Other Myths". Also, if you check out the Tropicalesque group at gardenweb, there are lot's of folk who grow cold hardy palms there. I attempted it one year and got behind on the weeds. My hubby thought he was helping and weed wacked my baby palm...oh well. Try some windmills. Sometimes, Natorps carries cold hardy palms. Wait till spring and put them in as soon as possible.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 9:32AM
andymc499(7)

Okay, thanks! I actually had a trachycarpus takil(or so I thought, I think it was really a wagnerius) for a couple years outside until the fungus got it. I ignorantly wrapped it with plastic to keep it dry, and condensation built up. So it's an o well for me too. But, I would love to try some more palms and/or other hardy tropicals. I was just wanting to see if anyone else in my area had success. I can't wait til spring now!

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 1:54PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

I planted out two seed-grown palms in June - a Trachycarpus latisectus (about two feet tall) and a 1.5 foot needle palm (R. hystrix).

They're both in a sheltered spot (up near the south wall of the house)* but I'm on the verge of playing it safe and digging them up to take indoors for another winter.

*I have a hardy fig variety, Nandina 'Moyer's Red' and Amorphophallus konjac that have all overwintered well in that same general location.

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
What is this vine?
I would love to know what this vine is. it has came...
rhondals_2006
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio
Hi All - My knock out roses are barely showing signs...
pauladd1963
lilac bush
hello. we have some lilac bushes that are several years...
Ron_b.
Moving to KY
Hello! We're moving to KY (Owensboro) from that Dallas...
Marie79
Sponsored Products
Umbrella Floor Lamp by Pablo Designs
$220.00 | Lumens
Ava Ruby Fabric Black Dining Chair
bryght.com
Free Pad New Hand Knotted Wool Runner Balouch Multi-Color Boxes Design
BH Sun Inc
15" Round Bathroom sink in black basalt Stone- OUVEA DARK
Living'ROC
Shell Chair
Design Within Reach