Calendar for Portland area

karan_in_oregon(Zone 8 Oregon)March 13, 2007

Hi,

does anyone know a site for beginner gardeners where a schedule month by month can be found for growing vegetables and flowering plants? My daughter lives in the Portland area after living in southern California for over 10 years. So far she has planted sweet peas, but is wanting tomatoes and probably annuals. She needs hints on care, feeding etc. I am going to send her the URL for Gardenweb. She is an accountant so doesn't have a lot of free time to search this time of year. Thank you, Karan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellen_portland(z8 OR)

Hey Karan,

I was born and raised in CA and moved here 5 years ago. We've just bought our first house and now I finally have my own yard to experiment and plan out. Before that I was an avid balcony gardener (grin).

What area did your daughter move to? Sounds like we are in the same boat!

I can't give you any hard information, but this forum is the best- I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Ellen

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 3:35PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sweet peas now, tomato plants, basil starts other tropical vegetables June. Start your own or shop earlier, grow on yourself under cover before planting out - selection at outlets reduced by correct planting time. Beware of chilled plants when shopping, once exposed to cold nights these may dawdle for some time afterward. Yellowish growing points at top and center of plants a red flag.

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 5:26PM
mdvaden_of_oregon(NW Oregon)

They probably wouldn't want the link on here, but I'll mention a name you can check.

Do a Google search for...

Rainyside Gardeners

Its a small forum, but has information in the site. The moderators use the site almost daily. Not as fast paced as Garden Web, but not as many flashing ads, either.

You might search its articles and archives for a calendar, or post the question.

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 5:54PM
gardengal48

Get a copy of The Maritime Northwest Garden Guide published by Seattle Tilth. It is available at many NW nurseries and garden centers and also bookstores or online through Powells and Amazon. With a major contribution by Carl Elliot, former owner of Northwest Perennials, host of an NPR radio gardening show and very active in Seattle Tilth, as well as a bunch of other local, experienced gardeners, this is an invaluable guide for the new gardener or just new to the area as well as an excellent resource for the more experienced. It offers month by month planting recommendations (what to plant when), tips for extending the growing season, recommendations for organic pest and disease control, a detailed regional zone map and sources for plants, seeds and compost. Very inexpensive at around $12.00 (about half that if you can find it used).

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 11:36PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Gardening with Ed Hume: Northwest Gardening Made Easy by Ed Hume

The Year in Bloom by Ann Lovejoy

Month by Month Gardening in Washington & Oregon: What to Do Each Month to Have a Beautiful Garden All Year by Mary Robson

Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades: The Complete Guide to Natural Gardening by Steve Solomon

Gardening Month by Month in Washington and Oregon by Alison Beck

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 7:13PM
karan_in_oregon(Zone 8 Oregon)

Thank you all for the good suggestions.
She is in the Beaverton area.
I will try to get the books myself. I have read Ann Lovejoy's books.
I hope all of your gardens are doing well,
I have Winter Sown seeds that are up and keeping me busy. It has been a long time since I have done much except maintain what I have, so it feels good to smell and feel dirt (soil).
Thank you again, Karan

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™