Crimson Barberry

judijerpen(z6aOH)September 20, 2004

I have a row of crimson barberry bushes that have the lovely red new growth at the tops.They are fine if you look at them from the top. However, they are 4 feet tall now and spindly. All you notice are 2+ feet of bare branches. Should I prune them back? How much should I cut off, and when should I do it...fall, winter, spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohio_homegrown(z5 OH)

I have them too, Mine have grown to at least 5' the past few years now. I have had to trim them these past couple of years to keep them below the house windows, they seem to get alot thicker when i do. I started selective trimming with pruners, now i use the electric hedge cutters because it would take me forever doing each branch. I've pruned after the fall color is about done and the leaves are half dropped and i have pruned in the middle of the summer to keep them from growing over the sidewalk. I have both varities tall and lower mound type, so go ahead and prune and i think they will thicken up for you. I would cut off a third.

Bookmark   October 2, 2004 at 6:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bolecke(5 OH)

Myself, I would prune in the spring and then again in the summer or as needed. At a certain point I usually stop so the new growth doesn't get nipped by frost. Barberry actually respond well to shearing. I use hand shears just because I can get better cuts (easier to keep hand shears sharp for me).
1/3rd is a good rule to follow if you have to do some significant hacking. Who knows, maybe 1/2 might be needed in this case. I wouldn't suggest taking that much off unless I actually saw the plant.

If you have a plant that has been maintained then just take off all the scraggly stuff and perhaps go into the plant about 2 inches.

I am a staunch advocate of pruning with hand pruners, but I wouldn't waste my time on barberry.

Bookmark   October 20, 2004 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Voles, Field Mice or Chipmunk!?
Hello! I keep seeing this tiny 'mouse' like rodent...
ClevelandGreenThumb
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
are there poisenous snakes in eastern kentucky??
i've been thinking about moving there for a afew years...
donnaz5
Fleur de Lis Garden Club Booth
Hello to any Louisvillians out there. Wanted to point...
highlandsgardener
Ideas for School Playground
I am a teacher at a small independent school in Columbus,...
wackypack
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™