Cutting back Hostas

callalilykris(z5b MI)August 27, 2012

Hi

I have several hostas that were burned due to the extreme heat (98-100 degrees) for several days which is highly unusual for Michigan at the beginning of July. We also had to have a tree cut down in the front yard which increased the sun exposure immensely. My question is this. Is it Ok to cut them all the way to the ground right now and will they come back for the rest of the summer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

many will tell you its a good way to spread virus ...

but if you are just talking about some ho hum run of the mill.. grandmas had these in the yard for a century.. you probably havent introduced and virus to your yard.. so it MIGHT NOT be an issue .... just do it ... [though it would be godo for you to learn enough to ID virus.. before you start .. i think there is a tutorial at the hosta library. ???]

the problem is.. that right now.. a healthy plant is storing energy.. to come up in spring.. if yours reflush.. your are using energy now.. and that can mean.. that they might be a bit smaller next year.. if they cant add energy with the new leaves....

personally.. having 5 acres.. i would ignore them.. and let them do what ever they want..

but if yours are bugging you.. and you just have to do something.. just knock yourself out..

ken

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
i will miss the freak
phil the hostafreak passed on 12/4 ... an aneurysm...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
We have bullets n numbers!
I love this feature! These will come in handy...especially...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™