source for copper tape to prevent slugs?

arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)May 13, 2006

i have spent tonight researching slug deterrents. i am determined to save my hostas and centaurea this year. turns out there are many options, but i just do not have the temperament to use any products that must be refreshed or replaced during the season.collars of builder's sand or lime might be a one-season solution but i think copper tape would be more permanent.(years ago, before i discovered GW, i made, mistakenly, 100 collars of ALUMINUM , not copper, sheeting, so i can just afix the copper tape to these existing collars) SO, i think i've settled on copper tape. i've found web sources but didn't know if any GW person knows of a greater- boston- area- vendor? Safer makes a product called Slug and Snail Copper tape, and i may just start calling all the garden centers around,and then plumbing supplies vendors, but i thought i'd ask you resourceful GW people first.

thanks much, mindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmarion(9aPort St Lucie)

I'd check the big box stores first. Then a plumbing supply house.

Bookmark   May 13, 2006 at 7:24AM
patrick_nh(z4/5 NH)

Look in the electrical aisle for 1" copper tape. Not sure exactly what they use it for, but I've seen it on occasion.
Try a stained glass supply store also. 1" isn't commonly used, but there are several other narrow widths that are very commonly used, and should be in stock at any stained glass supplier.

Bookmark   May 14, 2006 at 9:36AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

mahoney's strikes again!

Bookmark   May 14, 2006 at 11:29PM
charlysgardenplace

NOT tarnished copper...
I was intrigued about slugs and copper, so conducted my own little experiment. I put 1/2" copper pipe in the sun, and a slug so that, with the sun at his back, in his retreat he would be forced to come face-to-face with the copper. He touched it and reared back like a miniature horse! It worked, and I read later that their reaction is caused by a small electrical charge.
----
One drawback about copper I've never seen addressed in forums or blogs, on garden sites, or by garden suppliers: once the copper is tarnished, slugs cross it like it's nothing.
I don't feel like cleaning my copper, nor wish to rebuy every season, so I've opted for ducks. They're fun companions (in the country), but the hens can be loud. Better to have a drake in town, if slugs are a problem there.
God bless your Garden

--CharlysGardenPlace

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
Landscape Design Council Awards at Boston Flower & Garden Show
I received a press release from Frances Wheeler regarding...
bostongardens
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Sponsored Products
Franklin Leather U-Sofa Sectional - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Designers Fountain 83702 Modesto 2 Light Bath Bar in Artisan Finish - 83702-ART
$125.50 | Hayneedle
EnviroLite Ceiling Mounted Lighting 1-Light Satin Platinum LED Ceiling
$29.98 | Home Depot
Hughes Leather U-Chaise Sectional (3 piece) - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Besa Milo 4 Pendant 3JW Light with Purple Glass - 3JW-MILO4PL-BR
$387.00 | Hayneedle
European Quilted Piazza Sham - HONEY (EUROPEAN)
$185.00 | Horchow
Minka Lavery Outdoor Lanterns. Wall-Mount 2-Light Outdoor Architectural Bronze L
Home Depot
Designers Fountain 84211 Palatial Semi-Flush Light in Chrome Finish - 84211-CH
$179.50 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™