overwintering yellow bleeding heart vine

rosemctier(z5/6 waynesburg PA)October 24, 2010

Hi all1 looking for some overwintering advice. I live in waynesburg pa, which is zone 6 (but i don't trust that because our winters are so variable and weird, so I look for things hardy to zone 5). i live in a log cabin, which is never by any stretch of the imagination warm-- it can be as cold inside as it is outside if no one is home to keep those home fires burning. I have 2 yellow bleeding heart vines in 15" pots that were given to me as gifts, so I would really like to keep them alive over the winter. i have found conflict info about their hardiness, ranging from one 5 to zone 8. who knows. any suggestions about how to store these plants so they might make it through the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

You might try posting this in the vines forum, or do a search to see if overwintering has already been discussed. I see on that it should be hardy to 30F or so. It looks like a beautiful plant.

I do keep several tropicals inside over the winter (altho it never gets colder than 58F in my house!), some are dormant in pots in the cool basement (sweet potatoes, calla, dahlias, amaryllis) and others live in front of a sunny window being watered about once a week. I don't know which treatment would work for bleeding heart vine, but it sounds like it should be keep-able as long as your interior stays above 30F.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Honeydew
Anybody out there have some honeydew plants that could...
Kobolt
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™