Over wintering green and white vinca and golden creeping jenny

alison(6b/OH)October 18, 2005

I plant these every year in baskets and pots on my front porch, but I wondered if I can over winter them?

Probably not in the baskets, right? Any tips?

They're not the most expensive plants to buy, but it would be nice to not have to shell out the money.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

Yes...I over winter vinca vine every year. (You'll never have to buy any again!) Just plant them in the ground in the fall & dig and divide (if big enough) the next spring. They won't overwinter in a basket or small pot in my experience.

Absolutely...vinca in the ground in fall...more plants in the spring.

Beverly

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 9:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kymie17(z6a/5b NE OH)

I would do the same with the golden creeping Jenny, too. At work, it's been a groundcover in a small triangle bed for as long as I can remember--that's in the Akron area, which should be more like Zone 5 than my home's borderline Zone 6 up by the lake. I know that they don't replant it every year.

Both the vinca and the creeping Jenny can spread through a garden bed, though, so if you're like me and don't get around to digging up stuff in the spring as often as you'd like, I might sink a large plastic nursery pot in the ground and then plant them inside it. That will help keep them contained if you get behind on spring planting.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
pumpkin patch
my pumpkin patch started out really good but as it...
DarleneJ
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Blue Spruce trees dying
Was there some kind of fungus or something that killed...
lindaw-cincy
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio
Hi All - My knock out roses are barely showing signs...
pauladd1963
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™