Artichokes from seeds. . . anyone ever?

maidinmontanaMarch 16, 2009

I posted this on the veg forum before I realized there was one for NO. gardners.

I bought some Art seeds on line last spring, but never planted them. I read they will bolt in hot weather. So I thought about putting them in a 5 gallon bucket so I could move them to the shade if they got too hot.

Here's my ?'s. . .

#1 Our summers rarely get over 100, is that cool enough?

#2 Is our season long enough to grow them?

#3 Should I direct sow or start indoors?

#4 Are last years seeds still viable?

I was going to soak some and stick em in some soil just to see if they are viable, but I only got 5 seeds and they were pretty spendy so I don't want to waste them if they need to be direct sown.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bogart(6 Ont.)

Well, if by 'bolting' you mean send up a stalk with flowers on the end, that's kinda exactly what you want with an artichoke. Unless you mean the Jerusalem artichoke, where you eat the tubers, I think???

I've grown artichokes from seed twice in Toronto and yes, our summers are long enough to produce flower stalks and tasty artichokes - but they did need to be started indoors in March/April. This is an excellent ornamental veggie - the flowers, if left to go to seed and not cut off at the bud stage for eating - are quite spectacular, much like a large blue thistle.

Don't know about the viability after a year.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™