Peony

GartenOmaMarch 18, 2013

Several years ago, I planted a tree or Chinese peony--it did well until last year's early storm sliced it in half. It did nothing last year and I thought it was dead, but left it. This year there are a couple of new shoots, but only on the very top. This one never had more than one stem from which two more main stems developed (one of them got sliced off); another one I planted at the same time, has many stems and keeps shooting up more.
Is there any way that I can revive this precious plant? Should I cut it back to encourage growth from the root?
Any information is appreciated--thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

With any that are grafted shoots from the root will belong to a herbaceous peony and not the tree peony. You can tell if this is your situation because as the herbaceous shoots develop they appear obviously different. And they die back to the ground in fall.

A weak tree peony that is not grafted I would try to stimulate with good general conditions, same as with any other kind of plant that is not infested with pests or a pathogen that are sapping it. Look up what site conditions tree peonies want and try to provide those.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™