Just got Designer Genes......

sherrygirl zone5August 13, 2014

Just got Designer Genes yesterday, couldn't resist. My plant is pretty small. Just wondering if anyone has grown this variety and what i should expect. Any input is appreciated! Pictures please!

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostanista

When I first got mine (August 2012) I really liked it. It hasn't wowed me since. It's ok, but really just so-so. I hope it will do better in your garden than mine. I'm going to give it one more season to mature - maybe 2015 is the "wow" year. Mine is in shade 90% of the day. Maybe more sun would make it shine. Interesting to hear what others have to say about it. This is the June 2014 pic.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:23PM
sherrygirl zone5

Thanks for the response hostnista, was hoping for a few more.we may have check back to how the plants are doing. Just wish somebody beside us had some input. May have to start another with a more intriguing title

Sherry

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 1:52AM
don_in_colorado

I actually HAD one that I bought in 2012 very early in the season, and it grew well. I had it in sun for most of the morning, then dappled shade for most of the afternoon. Unfortunately it never came up in 2013. Digging around the area to investigate, it looked to me like voles got it.

I haven't replaced it yet, but there's no reason why I wouldn't. I'll probably get it again. Great colors on it.

Hope it does well for you.

Don B.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 3:08AM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

I found it a very fast grower and it's red stems and yellow leaves were a wonderful contrast in the first two or three years of growth. After that though, the red stems seemed to fade and the contrast was not nearly as noticeable. I've moved it to a better location. It has good slug resistance and is an easy grower. The bright yellow leaves fade to chartreuse as the season develops. It's showiest in spring. I still like it, though.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:25AM
sherrygirl zone5

Thanks for the added responses! Was just wondering what to expect.

Sherry

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:00AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I have two. One in the ground and one in a pot. The one in the pot on my deck is doing much better.

Steve

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:32PM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

Just saw your thread, Sherry. I planted my DG in May, 2013 and like it so far. The pic is on June 5. The leaves started to look a little bleached later on but that might be because it's on a bit of a slope... will have to come up with something to keep the water from flowing down.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Hosta Smart Phone App
I think I have my hubby convinced to write me a smart...
thisismelissa
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
Shiny-leaved Hosta
I am SOOO bored watching snow melt! Not fast enough...although...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
22 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday night predicted!
I spent three hours covering hostas when I got home...
zkathy
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Sponsored Products
Artifort | F 511 Lounge Chair
YLiving.com
Hand-tufted Contemporary Blue Striped Mayflower Wool Rug (12' x 15')
Overstock.com
Two-Piece Mr. & Mrs. Highball Set
$50.00 | Horchow
Chelsea Home Furniture Astrid Loveseat - 472120-LS-MC
$659.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Ivory 8 ft.
Home Depot
Multi-Point Canopy Linear by Bruck Lighting Systems
$268.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™