Mulching in the Dayton area

michigoose(Z5OH)December 5, 2005

I know this is unusually cold for this time of year (at least as far as looking at the weather records), and the ground seems to be frozen, with the extra coat of ice on top as a gratis.... Is it time to start mulching now? Or should I wait until the ground is REALLY frozen????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sage_lover(z6 OH)

I am probably missing something obvious, but what are you mulching and why is it important to wait for the ground to be frozen? It seems many people mulch in spring, but this is mainly for looks. Nature "self mulches" in the fall which leads me to believe this is generally the best time.

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigoose(Z5OH)

In the winter, I usually put mulch of pine boughs down over some or my more tender plants. I wait until the ground is frozen because if you don't, you will likely have everything eaten by voles/mice. What I am trying to prevent, primarily, is the heave which takes place with freezing and thawing.

Since I was planting way later than I should have been (mind you PLANTING perennials) since I broke my foot in August, this is especially important to make sure that my plants make it through the winter. I moved here from Connecticut, and therefore, I am unsure as to when some of the things should be done here. I was soundly zone 6 there, and I'm 5/borderline 6 here. It has been a long time since I lived in Michigan and I really can't remember what's best.

If I "self mulched" as fall does, I would end up losing stuff which I want to try to prevent.

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Kwanza Cherry oozing sap
Have two 15' tall Kwanza cherry trees that bloomed...
judijerpen
Fleur de Lis Festival Louisville KY
May 26-27 at Waterfront Park, Louisville. May 26 hours...
kydaylilylady
WANTED: To trade with Licking County Resident, Newark, Heath, Heb
I'm looking for a local resident of Licking County,...
KatsPlants
Is anyone growing Sarcococca?
I've heard humelis may be more hardy than has been...
BabyHelpful
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio
Hi All - My knock out roses are barely showing signs...
pauladd1963
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™