Christmas Cactus

Nancylee_321(WV z7)December 10, 2007

How do you properly take care of a Christmas Cactus, and make sure it blooms for Christmas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kydaylilylady(z6 KY)

Hi Nancy,

Since no one else is going to tackle your question I'll give it a whirl.

Christmas Cactus love to spend the summer outdoors. They love the humidity and prefer to have adequate moisture. Mine stay outdoors until just before frost. Then they need to be brought indoors and placed in a sunny window.

The key to getting them to bloom is that they need a place where you can regulate the length of daylight. If you have a spare room that you don't go into in the evenings put your plant there. That way it's in an area that doesn't have it's light cycle broken. If you leave it out in a window in a room that has lights on in the evening chances are buds will set on the window side of the plant and not on the interior of the room side. I've got one blooming like that right now. I had to turn the buds around so I could see them.

If the plant's inside the room where it gets light all the way around chances are you'll never see it bloom.

Janet

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 12:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenfaerie(z5b Michigan)

I think Christmas cacti need *either* light regulation *or* cool temps, not both. Both my own plant, and those of friends, have bloomed faithfully each year (more than once, even) and we do not regulate light. However, I keep my house pretty cool and that seems to do the trick.
Monica

Bookmark   December 29, 2007 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
What is this vine?
I would love to know what this vine is. it has came...
rhondals_2006
Little Miami River Area
Hello everyone, I am very new here and very new to...
jekca
When is the Fall 2014 Plant Swap, please help :)
I wrote down info for the wrong plant swap, the one...
KatsPlants
Small upright shade bush
I have a small shade space on the north side next to...
Carol7853
Voles, Field Mice or Chipmunk!?
Hello! I keep seeing this tiny 'mouse' like rodent...
ClevelandGreenThumb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™