It's hosta time!

mosswitchAugust 15, 2013

Oh boy! A dozen hostas from LOTG and a dozen daylilies from Gilbert Wild! I'll take some pictures when I figure out how to get these boxes open, lol!

Going to be a busy day here tomorrow! Kinda glad I scheduled my Hallson's order for September 1st!

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bkay2000(8a TX)

Oh Wow. Sounds like quite a haul.

We'll be waiting for the pics.

bk

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 6:09PM
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Sounds exciting! And more coming in September! I'm sooooo envious!!!!!!

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 6:13PM
mosswitch

Voila! Am I going to have fun tomorrow or what?!

Top: left to right, stuck in the pot in the back is Sweet Standard. Back row, Shade Fanfare, Silver Moon, Midwest Magic, Eye Declare: Bottom row, right to left, Beckoning, freebie Grand Tiara, Atomic Elvis in full bloom, freebie Luna Moth, Proud Sentry, Sunshine Glory, and Pearl Lake.

No picture of the daylilies, not much to see there. Just roots and trimmed off leaves. But if you are interested, there are: Baracuda Bay, Blueberry Candy, Country Melody, Happy Returns (7 of those), Huckleberry Friend, Indy Charmer, James Marsh, Mardi Gras Parade, Molokai, Prairie Blue Eyes, Siloam Double Classic, Strutters Ball and Wahoo. What can I say, they were on sale!

Oh yes and 5 irises; Batik, Epicenter, Cupid's Arrow, Wench, and Bewilerbeast are also waiting for me to plant them.I seem to have lost my mind.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 6:22PM
mosswitch

I forgot to mention that we dug out a big bed of irises and daylilies yesterday that need cleaned, divided and sorted too. Along with a couple thousand daffodil bulbs I have to do something with. (not exaggerating either).

Sandy

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 6:24PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

LOTG .. land of the giants appears to ROCK!!!! ...

whats the ginormous one with the leaf at 3 oclock

ken

ps: how come they arent taped yet... i would have done it.. right as they came out of the box ... and on the really tall ones.. at 2 or 3 places.... tapes cheap ... flop sux ....

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 6:44PM
mbug_gw

have fun tomorrow in the garden! Going to have to check out some of those.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 7:02PM
bernd ny zone5

I love those hostas from LOTG, got them several times too. Big plants are instant gratification.
Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 19:23

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 7:10PM
jadie88(7 MD)

Those are some beefy looking plants! Wow. I have been fooling around with a fall order from them, and you may have just doubled the size of that order. :)

I got a couple daylillies as freebies from a GHWild order, and I am impressed with their size and vigor. You have your hands full for certain! :)

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 7:20PM
mosswitch

Ken you mean this one? With the big pretty leaf? That would be Beckoning.I love that one!

I didn't have time to tape them, Ken. They are all laying down in the boxes now so they won't flop, but first thing in the morning something will happen along that line. Tho I have plant supports that I use for the big ones so I usually don't have to tape anything anyway.

Glad to see I'm being of assistance in enabling you all! Anytime I can be of help!

Jadie don't wait too long to place your order, they stop shipping sometime in early September usually.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 11:07PM
jadie88(7 MD)

Thanks for the tip, Sandy...I'll get on that! I may have already missed Luna Moth, as I don't see it in their listing. Did you take the last one? :)

I wasn't going to get Beckoning because I thought it would be similar to Guardian Angel, but with an opposite color change. Seeing yours, I don't think I can resist.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 5:32PM
mosswitch

Jadie, they sent me a couple of free ones, Luna Moth was one of them. You might ask if they have any more.

I love Beckoning! I almost didn't order it, you know ho hum another Blue Angel sport, but I am glad I did! It doesn't look anything like any of the others. It's going to be a standout in the garden.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 6:51PM
don_in_colorado

You ain't kidding, 'It's hosta time'! Very nice, Sandy. Have fun establishing them in their new home.

Huge plants; LOTG looks like another retailer that's worth every penny. At first I thought some of their stock were a little expensive, but not for plants THAT size! Thanks for the pics.

Don B.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 9:50PM
mosswitch

They are all in the ground, taped, staked, supported, soaked in root stimulator solution, watered in and labeled. Oh yeah and deer-proofed! They all looked good, when I unwrapped them, nice roots. Thanks for the heads up, Bernd, I inspected them carefully and they all looked fine. The weather is even nice and cool, perfect planting weather.

I do like LOTG, all the hostas I got from them last year look really good this summer. Nice to have bigger plants and not have to wait 3 or 4 years to be able to see what they are going to look like when they grow up!

Now for all those daylilies and irises. Still digging out daffodils! Some of those have been here for 50 some years, and the clumps are huge. So far I'm up to a five-gallon bucket full of bulbs, and more to come. I'll replant some of them but most are going to the Springfield Botanic Garden for a project they are working on.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 10:30PM
jadie88(7 MD)

Wow, what a day's work! When you have a spare moment, would you tell me about your experience with root stimulator? I've only ever used it to root cuttings...what do you use?

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 10:35PM
mosswitch

Jadie, I use Fertilome root stimulator and plant starter solution, have used it for years. Everytime I plant, soak the roots in it, water with it for the first couple of weeks. It seems to help, gives the plants a jump start. It's a very mild fertilizerl, light on the nitrogen and heavy on the phospate for root growth, with an added rooting hormone, and helps prevent transplant shock. Perfect for fall planting.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: root stimulator

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:54PM
becky_ia(z4 IA)

LOTG?

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:41AM
jadie88(7 MD)

Thanks Sandy, I think I'll try it. I did mix in some slow release tomato fertilizer since I had it on hand and since its low N, high K. Anything to get these babies going! :)

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:13AM
mosswitch

Becky, Land of the Giants.

I'm nothing if not an enabler, lol! Here's a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: LOTG

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™