Southern blight on The Razor's Edge

Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)August 22, 2012

My plant is dead. It died a horrible death after looking so beautiful that I bought it a big fancy pot.

I think ignorance is bliss, because until I knew about Southern blight, it never struck my garden in all the years I've been digging the dirt. Now it took one of my favorites.

Here is The Razor's Edge (with Moonstruck beside it) in its glory days:

And here it is as of yesterday afternoon.

I am really disgusted with what happened to it. A couple of days before, it was fine. It isn't even as hot as it was. The rain had stopped for about two or three days, and I've been so busy with heavy duty garden chores that I failed to do my usual complete garden walkabout. Just cannot turn my back for a minute, something is ready to gobble up the hosta. Knowing that we are the last outpost of hostadom, I guess I should accept that some distease can come to stressed plants. It fills me with chagrin though. Maybe I'll become obsessive-compulsive like Monk, going around touching each plant to keep it safe.

Out it goes with the garbage. And I've ordered a new The Razor's Edge this morning from Hornbaker, where I got the first one. (Plus a few more to console me for the loss.)

I looked for the other Southern blight thread, and it fell off the edge of the world already.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ci_lantro

Oh gads, I sure hope that's the only hosta that gets it.

Be sure to give that pot a good soak in bleach water before you re-use it!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:54PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Yeah, it is disgusting. I plan to toss it pot and all. It feels bad even posting the photo next to that of a healthy hosta. :/

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 8:05PM
jan_on zone 5b

So Sad, and of course it would attack a favourite and not just a plain old green with a white edge. Murphy probably has a law about that.
Jan

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:17AM
bernd ny zone5

I did not see the little spheres at the rotten end of leaves, but I had 3 hostas with crown rot. It might be of interest here what I did with them. I dug the plants out of the soil, removed all lose leaves, shook off the soil and placed soil and leaves into garbage. I cut out the mushy part of the crown, washed out all soil, gave the plant a 10% bleach bath for 1 hour, rinsed it and planted it into a pot with well draining mix, the crown above the mix. The plants survived and are growing, are getting some fungicide into their water. I also put the upper few inches of soil into the garbage.
Bernd

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 9:28AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Bernd, when you say some fungicide in their water, just what sort of fungicide are you mixing with the water?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:54PM
bernd ny zone5

I use Bonide Captan on crown rot which is also recommended for applying on seedlings. Note that I do not have Southern Blight against which you would need what don_r recommended in another thread.
Bernd

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 6:45AM
More Discussions
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™