Very New to the site

Castlemum(8)March 22, 2012

I am searching the site and am reading tons of tips, tricks, and suggestions for the Pacific Northwest. I am planning to plant a few pots on my apartment patio. I don't have any heirloom seeds, live on a limited income, but want to provide myself and family with some good eats.

I noticed the Amish paste tomatoe is a good choice for this area and am looking for seeds. I will be moving to Ocean Shores area in June and want to take my pots with me, and hopefully find a place to extend my garden. Ok, now I will continue reading more posts. Glad to be here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Especially out there you would surely do best to grow your tomatoes inside a plastic shelter. This can be quite important in the earlier, cooler parts of the season as well as after the peak of warm temperatures - I've had them blight off as early as August on Camano Island, just as they were coming into production.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 11:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonboy(Yamhill Co. Oregon)

I've found that Baker Creek Seeds has one of the best selections of heirloom tomatoes. (Or any heirlooms for that matter) They're out of Missouri so you have to be careful and choose only the earliest ripening ones. They'll send you a catalog free...it's fun to look at even if you don't buy anything.

You might also check out Territorial Seed Company. They're here in Oregon and carry a lot of locally adapted varieties. Kinda spendy though.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 4:18AM
More Discussions
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™