Pruning a dwarf peach

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)March 20, 2010

I have a very healthy dwarf peach, I think it is Red Haven tht has had super fruit the last couple of years. I'm sure I should be pruning it, but how? The book Pruning and Training, only says that dwarf peaches have a poor growing habit with crossing branches. No recommendation. I don't want to let this get overgrown but I have butchered too many plants with poor pruning, I'd really appreciate some help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

dotty, when it comes to pruning, I find visuals are much better than written instructions :-) I've attached a link to a UMass video that does a pretty good job of illustrating the process, if you can overlook the somewhat distracting soundtrack.

If you do a Google search on "peach pruning", you'll turn up a number of other, written instructions - mostly from extension services - that may fill in any blanks. Sometimes these can be a bit too technical for their own good and difficult to follow.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach pruning video

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 11:51AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Thanks Gardengal! Exactly what I needed. My tree is much the same size and raggedness as the before pic. I have one question for pruning in general: Do you cip off the tips of the branches you are keeping? I remember one gardener giving a demo and saying that clipping off the tip forces the tree to put effort into the side shoots. I noticed that the UMASS demo did not do this.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 12:54PM
whitman

Sorry I have no peach trees so I cant help there, but I do have lots of apples, cherries, and pears. When I started pruning them I checked out books from the library and watched videos online, but I felt I could never find all of the answers to my tree issues. So now I have started taking pictures of my trees from several different angles and then going to my local nursery for advice. There are a couple fruit tree fanatics that work at the nursery and they get real excited when I come in with pictures. I often leave with more information than I could possibly remember, but my trees have been doing much better now.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
soil stablization
I live in the mountains of southern oregon where it...
Shaun Brink
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Grape hobbyists in Olympia Area?
I am looking for a home for a few hybrid grapes. Lost...
David
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Sponsored Products
Blanes Textured Upholstery Fabric in Peach
$30.00 | FabricSeen
Peach Bamboo Trellis Giclee Glow Mini Pendant Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Avalon Peach and Beige Rectangular: 3 Ft. 6 In. x 5 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$154.00 | Bellacor
Aqua Peach Skin Venice Lace Sheet Set
$21.99 | zulily
Aqua Peach Skin Venice Lace Sheet Set
$21.99 | zulily
Peach Bamboo Trellis Giclee CFL Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Peach Bamboo Trellis 20" Wide 3-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
22-Inch Square Pumpkin and Peach Cream Patterned Linen Pillow Cover with Poly In
$67.80 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™