Pruning a dwarf peach

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)March 20, 2010

I have a very healthy dwarf peach, I think it is Red Haven tht has had super fruit the last couple of years. I'm sure I should be pruning it, but how? The book Pruning and Training, only says that dwarf peaches have a poor growing habit with crossing branches. No recommendation. I don't want to let this get overgrown but I have butchered too many plants with poor pruning, I'd really appreciate some help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

dotty, when it comes to pruning, I find visuals are much better than written instructions :-) I've attached a link to a UMass video that does a pretty good job of illustrating the process, if you can overlook the somewhat distracting soundtrack.

If you do a Google search on "peach pruning", you'll turn up a number of other, written instructions - mostly from extension services - that may fill in any blanks. Sometimes these can be a bit too technical for their own good and difficult to follow.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach pruning video

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 11:51AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Thanks Gardengal! Exactly what I needed. My tree is much the same size and raggedness as the before pic. I have one question for pruning in general: Do you cip off the tips of the branches you are keeping? I remember one gardener giving a demo and saying that clipping off the tip forces the tree to put effort into the side shoots. I noticed that the UMASS demo did not do this.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 12:54PM
whitman

Sorry I have no peach trees so I cant help there, but I do have lots of apples, cherries, and pears. When I started pruning them I checked out books from the library and watched videos online, but I felt I could never find all of the answers to my tree issues. So now I have started taking pictures of my trees from several different angles and then going to my local nursery for advice. There are a couple fruit tree fanatics that work at the nursery and they get real excited when I come in with pictures. I often leave with more information than I could possibly remember, but my trees have been doing much better now.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™