Favorite edging hostas?

BungalowMonkeys(6-VA)August 18, 2014

Would like to add some edging type hostas in a few spots. What are some of the ones that you really enjoy and have had success with? Also are there any that have not done well for you?

This pic is of Libby. Just grabbed it at a local nursery. Not much info on it. Thought it was a sweet little hosta, liked the spikes and slight crinkle to the leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BungalowMonkeys(6-VA)

Side view

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 5:35PM
Babka NorCal 9b

I have no edges to plant. But years ago, everyone was using Chartreuse Wiggles, or Ginko Craig. They are small, dependable hostas. If you like Libby then use it! Some hostas are more vigorous than others and if you want to make several plants out of a few go with one that grows well for you in your location. From you photo, it looks like it spreads easily by rhizomes, so you won't have a little row of round clumps but a row filled in with hosta leaves. It all depends on the look you want.

-Babka

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 11:16PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

The closest I come to having an "edger" would be my tub of The Razor's Edge surrounded by Verna Jean.

This taken August 9th.

This taken April 25th.

I had the 3 larger ones from the previous year, and got 3 more for this tub. just barely emerging. They sure did fill in nicely. I do not THINK it is rhizomatous, but it sure does add eyes quickly.

Consider your zone and what kind of hosta grow the best for you, AND what you like. I generally use liriope muscari as an edger to keep my black pots cool. Liriope in the ground, pots hidden in their lush green growth. (zone 9a)

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that Verna Jean is very inexpensive, which is nice for getting multiples at the start, if you have long flower beds.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 11:34PM
BungalowMonkeys(6-VA)

Being a garden noob didn't realize hostas spread like that. Just thought edging hosta meant it stayed low, grew fast and made a healthy clump quickly. While googling it found a great list and explanation on a site you guys always recommend checking. The thing this article doesn't say is how easy or not, it is to control these type hostas. Was looking to have several different kinds. Each would have their own 2to3 ft section along our trail system.

Verna jean is sweet looking, will be adding it to the list. Have not seen Chartreuse Wiggles (love the name), or Ginko Craig. Will look those up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhizomatous Hosta List

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:27AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

golden tiara

faster than rabbit on crack

ken

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:04AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Ken, I agree, have some Golden Tiara and Grand Tiara both planted in my experimental driveway bed. They are growing nicely in the ground.

"Faster than a rabbit on crack" sounds like the next generation of Foghorn Leghorn one-liners. You sound just like him sometimes. :)

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:04AM
Thistle and Maize(Zone 5a- Eastern IA)

I've spent the past two weekends digging out massive clumps of golden tiara, lancifolia, and the standard green/white undulata that the previous owners used to edge EVERYTHING. They spread so much they were growing on top of each other.
The lancifolia and green/white did nothing for me and I banished it from my front beds, given away to some gardening swap people. The golden tiara I like, so it was spared the shovel, except to thin it out. I imagine I'll be thinning it again in a few years, it is a spreader and an edger.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:13AM
DelawareDonna(7A)

For shear flower power, the tiaras are a great bet. I only have Golden Tiara used as a specimen plant.

SS

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 11:29AM
BungalowMonkeys(6-VA)

Bought this as a NOID last month. Wonder if it is golden tiara. Thats an old pic from when it first came out of its pot. Will have to get a new pic. Its grown a bit.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 9:24AM
hostahosta

Here is my border of GT. Didn't think I liked borders of hosta, but doing this changed my mind. Used GT because I had tones of single clumps in the garden that were getting huge. Will be thinking about borders with other varieties in the future.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 11:13AM
don_in_colorado

Yes, Golden Tiara is fast all right...Certainly faster than THIS rabbit...Great Expectations is faster than this rabbit...

Don B.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 3:16PM
More Discussions
Anyone notice red leaf tips on 'Squash Casserole'?
Well, I did a day or so ago. Not just one or one eye,...
Moccasin
Hosta Smart Phone App
I think I have my hubby convinced to write me a smart...
thisismelissa
good to see spring in the uk
my grass still lots of work!fed it 3 times already..bloody...
uk-hostaman
HOSTAS FOR UNDER TREE IN LOUISIANA (B.R.)
This will be my first year planting hostas so you could...
bcurry1
Bare Root!!!!
Sunday morning. End of march. Jonesing for Spring. I...
gardenfool
Sponsored Products
Favorite Pie Dessert Plates - Set of 4
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Crystals Teal Blue Satin Shade Satin Steel Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Atlanta Braves Stainless Steel 26-Oz. Water Bottle
$14.99 | zulily
Cairo King Size Sectional Seating
Great Furniture Deal
Marquis by Waterford 'Omega' Old Fashion Tumblers (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Round Chiseled Flat-Bottom Travertine Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Fangio Lighting Lamps 33 in. English Bronze Adjustable Metal Swing Arm Table
Home Depot
POLYWOOD Euro 18 in. Side Table with Aluminum Frame - AT18-13AR
$119.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™