Is this a correct ID for this hosta?

bkay2000(8a TX)August 22, 2014

I saw this hosta at the Dallas Arboretum in 2012 (lots of cutworm damage). I was there today and it survived, but looks terrible. The closest thing I can come to it is Clifford's Forest Fire. So the questions are two - Is it Clifford's Forest Fire and are all the photos of the same variety? (All hosta are either diminished or disappeared from the Dallas Arboretum, so apparently, survival means something.)

bk

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mac48025

Bk. there is a Hosta Forest Fire PP17644 and it sure looks like your pic. Beautiful hosta. Go to perennialresource.com to find it.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 6:30PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Thanks, Mac. You are right. There was a little blurb further down the page, "Breeder: Clifford".

So, it's one and the same. Thank you so much for confirming that.

Now, the other question, could it be the same plant as in the last photo? Is it possible it deteriorated into that?

bk

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 7:04PM
evermore_gw z 4/5 NB

Hi Bk,

I'll be very interested to see if anyone reports on how they have done with Clifford's Forest Fire. I tried it once, but (probably through negligence on my part) it did not survive.

Your close-up pic of the leaves reminds me of Alex Summers, one of my favorites, and a proven winner. You may have it already, but others attracted to this leaf pattern should consider it.

Steve

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 7:32PM
ctopher_mi

They all look like they could be the same hosta. Just like Liberty can have a thin margin in its immature form, so can this one.

The plant was originally named Clifford's Forest Fire, but then the patent was applied for using only the name Forest Fire. It is a wide margined sport of Sagae so is the same parentage as Liberty and Ivory Coast.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 9:31PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Bkay- I believe that it did diminish over time. I had a Magic Fire that was just like that Clifford's Forest Fire. It dwindled in my pots as well. Give me LIBERTY or give me death. Magic Fire (like Clifford's Forest Fire) had a somewhat broader leaf, but never the wider beautiful margin of Liberty, over time, at least in my yard.

-Babka

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 9:44PM
don_in_colorado

Give me LIBERTY or give me...well, Sagae IS pretty nice : )

Don B.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 10:40PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Yes, Sagae IS pretty nice. Even a young one in a 2 gal pot.

-Babka

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 11:31PM
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

Babka, my first cup of coffee of the day, plus that extraordinarily beautiful picture (Sagae is perfection!) has started my day off! I love your landscaping in that shot. Really love the size and style of the Japanese pagoda too! :-)

Jo

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:48AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Very nice photo, Babka. I love Sagae as well. Mine is about 3d growing season and is fairly large. It sets a lot of seedpods too. I'll have to check for fertility this year.

BKay, I'm discovering that some of my hosta are regressing as well. I do not have the Forest Fire hosta, or Clifford's FF either. But some I have are diminishing. Also, while some are flourishing okay, they have lost the typical leaf color in pots. None of my undulatas have much white IN POTS. I think I'll be placing all undulatas into the ground like I did the U. Albomarginata from my DH's garden in MA. It got its white margins back this year and really looks pretty good. I have no idea why being potted up made such a difference, but it did.

As for Alex Summers, it does very nicely here. It is in a pot.
I got mine as a gift with a Hallson order back in 2012.
I highly recommend it to you in your zone, BK, based on performance here in a pot.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™