Gunnera is gunna go

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)May 7, 2013

I impulsively bought a pot of gunnera manicata, that giant-leaved plant I first saw near a stream at Great Dixter, England. But now I realize I don't have a stream or even a pond. So it won't survive in my RI land, especially since it's a weekend place and I wouldn't be there every day to water it.

So what should I do? It evidently needs constantly moist soil at its roots. And it is almost zone 7. We do have wetlands downhill, but the State monitors such places and I think won't allow anything to be planted there. We'd be fined if we did plant it there.

Does anyone else here have a gunnera?

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

If you want to keep it I'd try putting those water retention polymer pieces in highly organic potting soil and planting it in a really large self-watering pot in half-shade, or a huge regular glazed or plastic pot with a deep saucer under it, or even bury a kids' wading pool so that the rim is several inches below grade, fill it up with soil and moisture polymer up to the ground surface. Mulch the surface well and put it in half-sun. Then you could really heavily water it (since it doesn't mind sitting in saturated soil) and it might last the week. In my garden with mid-sized pots in full sun, the moisture polymer 'crystals' keep things damp for 3 days or so without having standing water in a saucer beneath it. You could even set up a really slow drip of some type such as several gallon bottles set on the soil with a couple of tiny pin-holes in the bottom to let water seep out, or a rain barrel set high enough to let gravity help out so that some type of wick arrangement would slowly allow water to seep into the soil.

Or is there someone you could get to water it midweek? Or alternatively someone with better growing conditions who would love a Gunnera for a present?

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 7:05PM
casey1gw

You could always trade it for something you do want.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:52AM
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

Nhbabs, I 'm following your advice and I'm hoping I have a giant by July.

Carol

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 5:48PM
TimMAz6(6b)

show us some photos of the Gunnera........I wonder how fast it will grow this season??

My Tetrapanex is starting to grow....(looks like Gunnera).

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:49PM
diggingthedirt

I don't have one, but I DO have Darmera peltata, which is very similar (moisture lover, huge leaves). Coincidentally, I fell for these when I saw them at the botanical garden in Paris - where they were growing in standing water.

I often consider digging it up and putting a wading pool under it, because I forget to water it. They don't require standing water, just damp soil. When I planted mine, I dug out a lot of soil and made a sort of low spot in the garden for it - filled with compost to hold more moisture. It's not quite enough to keep it happy, but it does still flower (right now, allium-like flowers poking out of nearly bare soil - very pretty and surprising).

Good luck with yours, Carol - I love these dramatic large leaved plants.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Landscape Design Council Awards at Boston Flower & Garden Show
I received a press release from Frances Wheeler regarding...
bostongardens
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
Sponsored Products
Beige Two-Piece Modern Dining Chair Set
$179.99 | zulily
New Oval Fine Kashan Hand Knotted MultiColor 00%Pure Silk Garden Rug H6020
BH Sun Inc
Kids Blue and Multi Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area Rug
$240.95 | Bellacor
Convenience Concepts Designs2Go Oak Mission Desk - 090102
$102.10 | Hayneedle
Matilda Outdoor Bench
Grandin Road
Eat Dat Book
| Dot & Bo
Mainstreet Classic Table Top Air Powered Hockey - 55-0503
$31.52 | Hayneedle
Patton Energy Star Prairie Bronze Finish Nine Light Two-Tier Chandelier with Fro
$369.99 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™