Help me choose small tree for poor drainage site

oliver75April 23, 2011

I have a Coral Bark maple that I planted last spring and it is slowly declining. When I dug the hole, I dug it too deep, and decided that I would put in some compost and top soil to help with drainage(I have clay soil). Little did I know I was actually hurting it by doing this. The area holds too much water and the tree just isn't growing. The leaves this year look small and droopy. I have decided to take the tree out and put it in a large pot in my back yard as I think it will fare better.

I still want to put a tree on this site because it is a landscaped area of my front yard that really needs some height. My question is, what should I do with the site? Do I choose a tree that adapts well to wet soil, or try to amend the entire area. It does need to be a small tree not growing taller that 20ft.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It is far easier to select a tree that will be adaptable to existing conditions than to attempt to permanently alter those conditions to accommodate the tree :-) Having said that, hard to find a 'small' tree that will work. Nyssa sylvatica (tupelo) is an excellent choice for poor drainage but will eventually exceed your height requirements. You could also try one of the smaller willows or coppice it annually to keep it small. Or train a redtwig dogwood into a tree form

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:58PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

You could go up instead of down, by dumping topsoil on top of the damp area and planting above the level of dampness.

If the maple has become infested with a destructive pathogen it may go on to decline and dwindle despite now being out of the unfavorable planting hole.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 7:19PM
oliver75

gardengal48-I like your idea of a redtwig dogwood. How big do these get? What color is their foliage? I think I have seen them around my area, but don't ever notice them except for in winter because of their bright red color. I might just do that instead of a tree if they get tall enough. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 9:35PM
gardengal48

They can get quite large - 8-10' if left unpruned, sometimes larger (for the native species, Cornus sericea). Had one of the natives in a previous garden that grew in quite a tree-like form that was easily 10' plus.

The natives have plain green foliage and are not particularly showy or very ornamental except for their red winter stems. I prefer the Tatarian dogwood, Cornus alba, which is available in a variety of variegated forms. Cornus alba 'Elegantissima' has a cream and green variegation that is very attractive, grows quite large and is available at most nurseries. You can also find shrub dogwoods with yellow twigs and again with variegated foliage if you like - Cornus sericea 'Silver and Gold' is a pretty stunning plant.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™