Green caterpillars

pixie_louMay 28, 2012

I'm seeing lots of green caterpillars these days. About an inch long and maybe 1/8 inch diameter. Lite green with a whitish stripe on its back and tiny white dots. Definitely has "feet". None of my butterfly books show caterpillars. And a google search isn't turning up anything useful.

Anybody have any idea what they are? Not sure if I should be thrilled to have them. Or if I should be smushing them. I took a photo but need to get the photos uploaded to my computer first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

Sounds like an inchworm, which coincidentally I had just brushed off my slacks! Grows into a geometer moth -- look it up.

Carol

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 1:06PM
pixie_lou

The ones I'm seeing are not inch worms. Inch worms only have front and back feet. The ones I'm seeing have feet the whole length of their body. Plus inch worms make that upside down U shape when they walk. Which these ones are not doing. Plus these ones are fatter than inch worms.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 5:16PM
roxanna(z5b MA)

is this the caaterpillar you have? (VERY LAST PHOTO ON PAGE)
http://www.austinbug.com/noctuidae5.html

H10012x Psaphida sp. larva

We have more than one species of Psaphida in the area, so I don't know the exact identity of this caterpillar, but the genus characteristics are evident: translucent green, with pale white lines and dots that match this image.

Here is a link that might be useful: bug collection

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 5:29PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

What plants are you seeing these caterpillars on?

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 7:04PM
pixie_lou

Roxanna - that looks like the caterpillar

Nhbabs - I'm seeing them on my deck and patio of all places. Haven't seem them on a plant - not even on my seedlings or any of my containers.

They almost look like a winter moth caterpillar - but like 10x bigger.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 7:54PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, (not sure if what I see has a white stripe) but at this time of year I always see little green worms, usually hanging down from... trees, I guess. The worst part is that you ususually see them three inches in front of your nose just before you walk into them! Funny, I've never bothered to look into what they were, but I've seem them ever since I was a kid.

Dee

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 9:37PM
pixie_lou

finally - a picture of my little guy. On a washcloth, sitting on my kitchen counter.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:27PM
capecodder(z6 MA)

I've got cats like that on my heuchera, merrily chewing away. I dispatch them on sight.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 2:34PM
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

I saw something like that on a small wild cherry tree yesterday. When I bent over to look closely it dropped off and disappeared. At first I thought it had dropped into my shirt pocket or my shoe (loose Crocs), but after some intense searching I decided it had hidden itself in the vegetation. I didn't really want to find a caterpillar crawling out of my pocket later that day.

Claire

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 4:45PM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

I find them every year eating my azalea, I was using Bayer 3 in 1 but this year I can't find it at lowes so I pick them off my hand and drop them in a can of vinger water

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 12:44PM
capecodder(z6 MA)

I saw a Bayer 2-in-1 at Lowes recently, now I'm wondering what happened to the 3-in-1!

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™