Paul's Glory.....A Few Changed Leaves That All Look the Same

jmcbackyarddigger(z6b So IL)August 13, 2014

Sorry I can't post a picture.

My "Paul's Glory" is doing great this year. But since last year I have noticed that several leaves within the plant are taking on a different look. All of these leaves look similar: with one side of the leaf looking like a regular PG leaf, but the other side uniquely different (again....all of these unusual leaves look the same...and the unique side is on the same side of the leaf in each case).

What's going on here?

Is this a new hosta 'sporting' within my current PG? If so, what do I do to separate the two plants [And I'm not even sure that a 'sport' is going on here].

Thanks for your help.

Again, I apologize for not being able to share a photo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

It is a sport, but... I see that from time to time on mine as well, although it doesn't carry over on the same eyes from year to year. Not particularly stable nor attractive (in my case, anyway).

tj

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bkay2000

If it's not something you would buy, just hang on. Next year it will probably be gone. If you think it's something unique and people would pay money for, separate it and grow it out for a few years to see what it does. Hosta put out strange leaves all the time. A few are worth keeping, most are not that different from what's already available or very attractive. You get to make the call.

bk

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
i will miss the freak
phil the hostafreak passed on 12/4 ... an aneurysm...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
halcyon vs bl wedgwood smackdown
did it work? halcyon blue wedgwood H as the typical...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
Always trying something new !
Well, if all your prime planting spots are full.. You...
leafwatcher
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™