Very few flowers this year

mjjones453August 5, 2012

I think because of the drought, I have had very few flowers this year on my hosta's. Any one else notice this?

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaLes(5)

I was thinking of posting the same thiing. Assuming the chic means you are in or around Chicago, we probably have had very similar conditions. I'm in Wilmington. My very dependible Guacamole only sent up a single scape this year. Yet my Fried Green Tomatoes, 1/4 the size of Guac., sent up 8.

Does the drought have more effect on the larger more mature plants because of their greater requirements?

I also haven't heard about less flowering from other areas in "Hostaland". I can't perceive it being a local condition.

Les

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 7:35AM
mjjones453

yep on the south side, dry, very dry up until this Saturday we finally had an inch of rain.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 8:26PM
hostared(Z5, IL)

In the area also...even with watering I think the heat had an effect on most of the plants. A praying hands, that is 3 ft across, always has a big display of flowers had only 2 scapes compared to over 30. Just keep watering it's going to be hot again today.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 8:49AM
jan_on zone 5b

Will a happy healthy hosta produce a flower scape from every eye? Is that the 'goal'?
Jan

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
When To Re-pot?
When is the correct time to up-pot a hosta? Is it when...
santamiller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™