Mis-tagged hosta

weekendweeder(5A NY)August 2, 2012

I got three of these at the dreaded Lowe's last year, when I was just starting out hosta gardening and hadn't yet found my way here to know better. They were tagged Fragrant Bouquet, but as I learned from Ken in Jan.ON's FB thread, they aren't FB.

With flower:

The green on these is not apple green like Fragrant Bouquet, but neither is it as dark as Francee or Patriot (both of which I have).

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Queen Josephine maybe? Go USA Paula

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:14PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

definitely not the near white flower of FB.. did i miss that in the other post ??? and i bet its not fragrant.. but if it is.. that info will help ...

is that bloom today .. this weekend???

moonlight??

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:22PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Nope, do not think it is Queen Josephine. This is my QJ in late June:

Just wondering what color the petioles are? The scape is barely above the leaves too, and a decided lavender bloom.
Does the white margin go down the sides of the petioles? Is there any red or black on the petioles near the crown?

You bought it just this year? Okay, let's see, most of the hosta sold in the box stores are not fancy new varieties, so this has to be commonly available....

Nice color, by the way.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:26PM
weekendweeder(5A NY)

Ken, these started blooming in early July and continue to be in bloom. This is from last weekend:

Sadly, the flowers aren't fragrant. I bought three of these because I wanted a drift of fragrant hosta!

mocassin, the petioles are plain old green. From earlier this spring:

I would add that the edges are eye-catchingly white, rather than creamy or yellow, like Queen Josephine's margins seem to be.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:47PM
i-like-to-grow(6)

Looks like h. green gold... Upright and lavender flowers this time of year...
John

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:37PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I don't care what the color is,it still looks like Francee to me. Hostas grow differently in different types of soil. No way is it Queen Josephine. QJ is very shiny. Phil

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 8:53PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Surely not Queen Josephine. She is shiny!

-Babka

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 11:20PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I think Phil has it right. After all he frequents Lowes so he should know. :~)

Steve

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:49AM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

Hi.

John, I don't think it's h. Green Gold' because the margin is uneven.

Here's a pic of my Francee (5 years in my garden). Unless the difference in the green is due to a difference in light conditions, I don't think the NOID is Francee either.

Have a look at h. 'Moonlight' at Fransen Hostas. I think Ken might be right.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 8:50AM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

BTW I took the pic of Francee today.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 8:55AM
weekendweeder(5A NY)

mocassin, I took a closer look at the petioles, and I was wrong: the white edges DO go down the petioles. I'd never really looked before!

Ken, the flowers are all done now, btw, so I guess it's a July bloomer here in my zone 5. Both it and Francee are done blooming. Francee is darker, but it's in a different bed, so perhaps Phil's right?

I dunno. All these green and whiteys are making my head spin!

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:42AM
cindyj(5b)

Could it be Frosted Jade? As I recall one of the local big box stores sold that one a couple of years ago, don't remember if it was Lowes or Meijers though.
Cj

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:39PM
hostaLes(5)

I don't believe it is Francee. The vp count is wrong. Francee is supposed to have 10. These look like they have 5-6. Can you confirm that and leaf sizes WEW?

A while back I did an exhausting search for the ID of what I was told by daughter Lorrie was Allen P. McConnell and I came up with Summer Fragrance, but got a headache doing it on greenies with narrow white margins.

Les

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:44PM
weekendweeder(5A NY)

I really appreciate all the replies, guys.

So far, possibilities are Francee, Moonlight, and Frosted Jade. I think Moonlight is more yellow than what I have. And it seems like I won't know if it's Frosted Jade till it matures more and gets a tightly rippled edge (or not).

Thanks, Les, for chirping in. Here is the NOID leaf size, about 6.5" (hard to hold the tape measure and camera at the same time):

And a close up for the vein count. I count 7 vein pairs (if I'm doing it right).

For comparison, here is Francee's leaf size (6 in.):

And vein count, I count 8 on the left side and 7 on the right, but I'm not sure:

If my 'Francee' ends up not being 'Francee' I'm going to give up any hope of correctly labeling all my green and whiteys!

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:12AM
Ludi _PA_7a

I am still VERY new at all of this . . . and it may show in my suggestion . . . but the leaf shape, size, and uneven narrow margin look like Fire Opal to me.

I know we all think of the parchment color typical of Fire Opal (esp at this time of year) but could it be if this is Fire Opal it does not get enough light to blanch ?

Sorry, I had to take a shot. I love when people link their NOID. It is always so much fun to try and figure out what it is.

I would have never found all of you guys/gals if it weren't for my Elegans NOID.

Fwiw,

Ludi :O)

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:33AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

How about Crowned Imperial - anyone seen this at lowe's recently.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: pic search - Crowned Imperial

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 11:46AM

Lowe's? I know Lowe's. They want to get me an apron I spend too much time there. I went outside and shot these last night. I still support the Francee or Queen Josephine theory. LOL I got both of these this year. Paula Go USA

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 12:04PM

Sorry I do not know how to post multiple photos yet

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 12:06PM
jan_on zone 5b

Another 'Crowned Imperial' new this spring.
Jan

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 2:21PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

From my experience, you have about a 1 in 5 chance of your hosta actually being what they say it is at Lowe's.

I'm going with the Francee or Crowned Imperial theory. First, you original photos look lighter than the photos you posted later, which look greener. Second, it's still a young plant, so vein count can still be off. Third, when my Francee was young, it was lighter. Now, it's more blue like Blue Angel.

I'm with Phil, it just looks like Francee to me. (Crowned Imperial looks very similar, shares a heritage with Francee, but is larger.) They are commonly available.

bkay

My Francee in it's second year.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
When To Re-pot?
When is the correct time to up-pot a hosta? Is it when...
santamiller
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™