Growing Pomegranates in Containers in Seattle? Success?

JessicasgrowincitrusApril 18, 2011

I have been stalking my local hardware stores lately waiting for this season's shipments of citrus to arrive. And luckily McClendon's Hardware will be getting their 1 gallon Meyer Lemons in this week! Finally!

The lady working there also mentioned that they will be getting in pomegranates this week too.

I am intrigued!

There are a few threads on this forum about growing pomegranates outdoors in Seattle with no follow-ups on how it worked out or even if anyone actually tried it.

From what I read on-line I may be able to grow them successfully in containers as far north as Seattle, although I may never get fruit even if I put them out in "summer" (i.e. July and August�).

Your thoughts? Success stories? Failures? Please share.

~Jessica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Needs to be in the ground, on a south-facing wall (hot, sheltered planting site). Even then colder winters will take it back. But you can get a substantial bush between these events.

Marginal plants should be grown in containers only so as to be able to move them under cover during cold spells. Plants in containers are much more likely to be lost to cold than those same kinds growing in the ground.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 1:33PM
Jessicasgrowincitrus

I had intended to keep the planter indoors during the poor months of the year and taking it outside in the nice summer months. I have Meyer Lemon trees in containers that I am keeping indoors, and they are doing well so I thought I might have a fighting chance with a pomegranate in a container as well.

Have you ever tried growing them in containers?

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 2:37PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Pot-grown specimens are frequent at outlets here. A friend has raised some in his local nursery in the past, in pots that were kept under cover for the winter. There is no reason to think growing them in pots - with winter protection - is not possible in this area.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
How to repair slippery grass path?
Along the side of our house, in the shade, is a strip...
geoffhazel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™