Fungus Gnats in Sea Soil

gardenbug(8b)April 27, 2010

I just purchased a bag of sea soil for my garden from a reputable nursery. The day after I added it to my garden I noticed lots of gnats were flying around. I plan to advise the nursery but in the meantime, I need to get rid of the ones in my new garden. I set out a bowl of vinegar (if that will help) It's been raining a lot these days so I can't dry out my soil. I just planted 2 rose bushes that need to be watered so drying it out wouldn't be good for my roses. Any suggestions please? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It's normal for lots of gnat type things to be flying about this time of year. So perhaps it's coincidence rather than the sea soil.

Vinegar bowls won't help because these definitely aren't the fruit flies that flit around over-ripe fruit.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 11:05PM
gardenbug(8b)

Thanks jean...
Is there any way to get rid of them?

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 2:27PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Most likely they're nothing to worry about. Frankly, gnats happen! :>)

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 5:15PM
gardenbug(8b)

Awesome! ...because if you're not worried about my gnats then I won't either. lol - Thanks very much jean. By the way, do they eat your plant leaves? I have recently planted a climbing rose and it looks like something has been chewing on a couple of new leaves that just opened. There are no aphids, I checked really good. Anyway, just a little curious about that.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 11:27PM
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

Aphids don't chew on leaves. Neither do gnats. Most likely it's a caterpillar. Many moth caterpillars are experts at hiding, coming out at night to eat your plant's leaves.

I second the notion that gnats happen and it's probably just a coincidence that they happened when you bought a bag of soil. Lots of March flies out right now. In California they come out in March but here they don't come out til late April, still called March flies though. Little gnat like things.

In any case, fungus gnats are largely a problem of container plants, not plants in the ground. Containers are watered more often, and container mixes hold water really well, and it's those damp conditions that favor fungus gnats. Not so common in the ground.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 12:50PM
gardenbug(8b)

I know I the gnats and aphids don't 'chew' on the leaves. - I don't know why I said that. Just now, I imagined a tiny green aphid with great big teeth. Caterpillar huh? Maybe I should check my roses at night with a flashlight. I thought about slugs too. Thanks for your thoughts about the gnats. I didn't know that fungus gnats were just in containers. That's good to know. (Must be those 'March' flies out in 'May')

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 2:04AM
More Discussions
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™