pine bark fines?

maltbyApril 16, 2011

where can I get the ingredients for al tapla's mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Not an answer, but here are the facts:
Pine bark fines is a common potting mix ingredient in Al's region. But not in the NW.

So if you locate a source, shipping fees will be sizable.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 11:49PM
oliveoyl3

I used the soil PEP at Home Depot sold as soil condition in the green & white bags. Also a blue bag called garden prep. Worked for me & less acidic than the pine.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 10:33AM
maltby

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg031028425011.html?22

Nice post by someone local trying al's mix. She uses reptobark, but she is also doing the gritty mix and not the 5-1-1.

Corinne, I checked out the soil PEP, it seemed a little overly broken down to me

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 9:10PM
oliveoyl3

Not sure what you're wanting to plant, but hope my experience helps you decide.

I used the PEP as part of the mix with potting soil for perennial divisions of creeping campanula, yellow corydalis, ajuga, variegated ivy, & groundcover euonymous.

I also used it to make a mixture for potting up bargain spring bulbs in large containers on New Year's Eve & topped pots with 2" of it as mulch for winter. The riot of color from these late planted bulbs is a bit a bit floppy now either from rain or lack of sunshine. Perhaps, the PEP isn't solid enough to hold the stems firm in the pots in the wind. :o) Either way, I plan to plant the bulbs in the ground after foliage dies back.

For my large cedar permanent containers I put bagged medium bark through leaf shredder to get fines for Al's mix last spring. The upright fuchsias are showing nice growth as are hosta, bergenia, carex, acorus, heuchera, & dwarf daylilies. I topped them with my homemade compost in the fall & removed the excess this spring. I don't plan to replant them for some time, so hope it works!

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Ideas for ground cover and evergreen shrubs?
Have been cleaning up a landscape that had been neglected...
westseattledeb
Trying to find Oregon Grape for sale
I am trying to find Oregon Grape - the compacta variety,...
garrai818
Good Cover Crop... Now What?
We have had a mild winter here in the PNW and the cover...
lonmower
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™