What Veggies to Direct Seed right now?

juliamay67April 13, 2014

We've had a few sunny days and my beds are weeded. What veggies can I direct seed right now for some success?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Peas, greens (lettuce, spinach, mesclune, arugula), most root crops (carrots, radishes, beets, etc.). And still good to plant seed potatoes and onions sets and starts. The cool season brassicas like cabbages, cauliflower and broccoli are best from starts rather than seed at this point.

And if you hurry, you can start indoors seeds of the warm season crops - beans, tomatoes, squashes, peppers etc. These need much warmer conditions than we have now to be planted out directly but still time to get them to a good size indoors by the time the appropriate weather arrives, usually around the beginning of June.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:35PM
larry_gene

Carrot seed was planted outdoors here today.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 10:51PM
princessgrace79(8 PNW)

Peas, lettuce, kale, carrot, onions here!

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 2:54AM
changingitup(8 PDX)

I've had peas in for about a month and they are about three inches. Beets about the same time and I am just seeing them pop up, which is disappointing because I planted them where I was planning my tomato rotation and hoping to harvest before It was time to plant the toms but not sure if this is going to work. Two weeks ago I planted 2 varieties of lettuce, cilantro, chard, kale and Arugula and the last is all I am seeing so far. Started potatoes yesterday. Have artichokes and Gladstone onion starts from the nursery sitting outside waiting to go in.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:55AM
larry_gene

Hence the hazards of planting too early; March here was the 2nd wettest in 70+ years, this keeps the soil wetter and cooler than normal for April 1 this year.

Seattle had their wettest march in ? years also.

The past 3 weeks has had mild days and most nights; the soil is shaping up. When planting 2 Boysen berries about 3 weeks ago, I encountered wet soil, wetter than I would have liked to plant seed in.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™