Kinnikinnick

mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)April 9, 2014

I finally made it to town and saw some Kinnikinnick I really liked. A low growing, compact form with nice flowers. Much more refined than the normal uva-ursi. I need a name and want to get some.
The Pieris japonica, 'Mountain Fire' has some reversion and typically the maintenance mow, blow, and go guys don't prune the reversion out. I have a Pieris at home that has done that, but I leave it for demonstration purposes. I don't think this is the case here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OregonGrape

I really like 'Emerald Carpet' (A. uvs-ursi x nummularia). It can take more shade, has nice flowers, and is a little moundier and more compact than the other A. uvs-ursi selections. The potential downside is it's less hardy (10 F or so).

There's a form called 'Wood's Compact' that is closely related to A. uva-ursi 'Radiant' but more like 'Emerald Carpet' in form. I haven't grown this one and don't know much about it.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 4:58PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

'Massachusetts' is supposed to be leaf spot resistant. This is the main issue with local plantings of Arctostaphylos of most kinds, that pretty much trumps other concerns. Plants can be - and often are - long-established, obviously succeeding yet heavily infested.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 12:37PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

Thanks bboy, I hadn't thought of that. Leaf spot can make the plant look rather ratty alright.
Mike

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 3:17PM
OregonGrape

'Massachusetts' is adapted to semi-regular summer clouds and rain. It'll do best in morning sun and with a few waterings a month. I tried to grow one of these in my west-facing xeric bed a couple of years ago and the older growth kept dying.

FWIW, my 'Emerald Carpet' does not have leaf spot issues, either.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
Flower on Shrub ID Help please
My Grand daughter has been quite taken with this shrub...
duncandotty
overgrown everything! eek!
I just moved into a place that has not been taken care...
wolfewindflower
Suggestions for seed mix for country lawn?
Any recommendations for a grass/forb mix for a lawn...
ishcountrygal
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™