Oso Berry

mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)April 9, 2014

Our native Oemleria cerasiformis is just finishing up blooming now. It is known as Oso Berry or Indian Plum.
My wife and I used to float the North Fork of the Stilliquamish River, putting in just east of Oso and floating down to Arlington.
Pretty country. I just though this might be a good time to high light this shrub.
Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

A high precipitation area, that's why they've been bedeviled by rain at the disaster site. When a few of us went to Oso to visit another college friend and his parents we were told the rainfall there was 90 in.

The shrub is an indicator of a winter wet/summer dry site condition, therefore characteristic of places like the banks of active rivers.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 12:29PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

It's the primary understory shrub here. That, and Red Elderberry.
Yes, it's wet here. Way wetter than Seattle.
I think the convergence zone has something to do with Oso's precipitation. It funnels right up the Stillaguamish River Valley. Same for the Skykomish River Valley.
Mike

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 5:24PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Red elder likes it moist also, although I don't think it is tied into the wet/dry thing in the same way, probably prefers that it is moist all the time.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 11:50PM
plantknitter(8)

The Oemleria around here -southwest Snohomish Co.- all seem to be male thus never having any "berries" or "plums" and are very small shrubs, often roadside.
The largest ones I have ever seen were in Brinnon near the banks of the Dosewallips river--they were female,with "plums" and about the size of large vine maples!-

( edited -the size of the shrub -- not the fruit--was about the size of vine maples. )

This post was edited by plantknitter on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 22:19

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 12:26AM
gardengal48

Lots here in Kitsap county as well, both along the roadside and at the edge of the wooded areas. I look forward to them as they are one of the earliest things to pop into bloom and are always a great harbinger of spring. Once they are out of bloom - and in leaf - they tend to fade into the background so never notice if they produce the plums or not.

And yes, they can get to be pretty good-sized shrubs.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 2:38PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

At fruiting time a nice feature is that part of a cluster will have gone black while the rest is still orange or yellow. But birds take them quickly.

Top of the height range is 23 ft. Most I see are well above my head.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 10:47PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I have them in my yard but have never seen fruit, perhaps the all-male thing would explain it. I'm disappointed, I would like to try them.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™