Rainbow's End

prairie_love(z3/4 ND)August 28, 2014

Now you have me questioning many of my hosta that I thought I had correctly identified. This one is supposed to be Rainbow's End. Do you agree? (with Maui Buttercups in the background)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

Absolutely YES! Those leaves look almost fake plastic and that is (for me) what makes Rainbow's End so unique.

-Babka

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 8:55PM
hippieindenial

I agree with Babka.

Vanesa

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 9:39PM
don_in_colorado

Totally agree...coouuuld be a Vulcan, though...

Don b.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 10:25PM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

I am going to TOTALLY ignore you, Don B. :)

Given that I know I bought Rainbow's End, I know I planted it in this approximate location, and this plant looks like it (not to mention I had never even heard of Vulcan till a day or two ago), I'm going with RE. Thank you for the confirmation.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 11:28PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Don- no way a Vulcan. Vulcan has a much stronger dark green margin and doesn't have that plastic shine. Vulcan is new to me this year, but even as a youngun' it doesn't look anything (to me) lie Rainbow's End.

Do you have both? Do yours look similar?

After all, they are both the "green and white" ones. ;-)

-Babka

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 11:37PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Ignore him,it IS Rainbows End! I just planted mine this year,and that is its look. Phil

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 8:01AM
almosthooked

I got a Rainbows End as a bonus gift for a large purchase from Hosta Choice and I just love the shine and plastic vibrant look . I can hardly wait for it to grow larger It is a real beauty
Faye

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 10:24AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Hey, PrairieLove, your Rainbows End sure looks pretty. If you want another super shiny and smooth leaf hosta, take a look at Lederhosen. It might be due to my weather MELTING it into a patent leather plastic green shine, but it does that every year. I'm told other folks do not have the same look.

Lederhosen is fragrant. I've had mine since 2010May. I guess it is about mature, but it's been moved from ground to pot during 2011, and here it is now. Well, on July 20 2014. It will lose most of the veins into a smooth leaf in the next month or so.

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 11:39AM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Update on Rainbows End versus Vulcan! I just found,and planted a Vulcan in my new garden space. Not only does it not resemble Rainbows End that much,but mine has yellow streaks in the center,along with white! Note: Don in Colorado. See Pic,taken today. I didn't even know my local nursery had these,and this is a young,but very nice one I found. Phil

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 2:07PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Aha! Lawdy lawdy, I hear a cheerful note in Phil's voice. He had to go to Rainbow's End to find it, a whole pot of leprechaun gold. Good to have your cheerful note sounding loud and clear, Phil.

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 3:58PM
prairie_love(z3/4 ND)

moccassin - that Lederhosen is very pretty, and I do want more fragrants! I would not want all my hosta to have the "plastic" look, but enjoy a few for variety.

I'm thinking of an order before fall, so may add Lederhosen to it, thank you for the suggestion.

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 4:38PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Prairie_love- Lederhosen doesn't get shiny at all for me. We don't get the heat level here to melt off the glaucous bloom, and I don't think you do way up North. If your blues normally stay blue, Lederhosen will won't get shiny on you. It is a unusual shade of gray green that is unlike many others. Get it. ;-)

-Babka

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™