When to plant seeds indoors

mourningdove(4b)March 25, 2013

I bought a 4 tier indoor greenhouse last week and started receiving some seeds I had ordered. I don't want to be too anxious to start them. Does anyone have any pointers that would help? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

What seeds are you going to try growing?

tj

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 5:48PM
mourningdove(4b)

Thank you so much for responding. I have 3 different colored brugmansia, 3 or 4 diff. datura, butterfly weed, foxglove, lavender lady, Korean bee tree, kiss me over the garden gate(never heard of this one before), meadow sweet, and a few others.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 9:34PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Hmmm, zone 4. I'd start the foxglove and datura now. You may have time for some of the others. When is your last frost date?

tj

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 10:15PM
mourningdove(4b)

Hi there, I checked online and the map zone says May 17th. Hopefully I can start planting them in the next few days.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 12:13PM
dowlinggram

Look at the seed packages. They tell you how many weeks until the time to plant outside. Start your seed so it is past the frost free time for your area. You can find the frost free time for your area on line

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:14AM
mourningdove(4b)

I never thought of that! duh? I ordered them from Mississippi and most of them do tell me how long they take to germinate. Thank you folks for all your help.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 1:02PM
ianna(Z5b)

In Ontario, you start in March - by May things are warm enough to put into the garden. Brugs though are not hardy in our zones and need to be brought in for winter. So for this reason you can start them earlier so you get a nice size plant by summer. I do not know if they will flower this season. For certain foxgloves won't flower until the following year since they are considered biennials. Lavenders, butterfly weed, meadowsweet, you can begin now. In my yard, they actually grow wild from self sown seeds. next winter, try your hands at wintersowing for these hardy seeds. There's an entire forum on the subject.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me which seed supplier did you get your seeds from and did you pay extra for the physto--something certificate?

Ianna

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:01AM
mourningdove(4b)

Hi lanna, I ordered my seeds online from seedman@seedman.com . I bought $45.60 worth of seeds and paid $10.95 for shipping and packaging(no tax) Unfortunately, I don't know what "physto certificate is, but that was what I paid. They sure have some very interesting seeds to sell. The sad part is they are located in Mississippi so I had to check the proper zones after I received them. I've grown brugs for several years and just can't resist trying different types. Feel free to email anytime. Thanks again. darlene

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
Blue Delphinium Reverting to White
I planted a 'Blue Butterfly' delphinium last year and...
Amanda33
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™