Crabgrass

McSlothyMay 4, 2011

I overseeded my lawn last April and it seemed to be establishing well, until late July when Crabgrass took over about 50% of my yard. I gave up on it and decided to overseed again last weekend and use a starter fertilizer with Siduron (pre-emergent). This morning (3 days after seeding) I noticed some sprouts coming out of the ground and I'm afraid to say I think that its crabgrass and I think I was too late with the Siduron. Can I do anything to prevent the crabgras from developing further without killing my grass seed or do I need to wait for my grass to develop and use a post-emergent?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

I'm not familiar with Siduron, so I googled it and found this interesting tidbit:

Crabgrass will not start germinating until soil temperatures get close to 60 degrees and stay there for several consecutive days, which most likely is not until late May or early June

I have no idea what the soil temperature is at this point,
but it seems unlikely that it's in the upper 50s, unless you're in a very sheltered sunny spot.

Crabgrass seedlings look pretty different from perennial grasses, they have much wider leaves - at least my crabgrass does. Are you sure your sprouts are crabgrass?

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™