Watermelon in hoophouse ?

compulsivegrower(8)April 15, 2013

Hello PNW gardeners

Has anyone in Zone 8 grown Watermelons in a hoophouse successfully ? I know there are obvious challenges like pollination & heat but I wanted to see if anyone has tried it and what the results were ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Friend has done it north of Seattle for years. Last time I visited was including a circulating ventilation system that used the hot air between the outer covering and the soil to heat the soil.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:19PM
compulsivegrower(8)

Thanks for response bboy, but I really have no idea what you're tryin to say ?! Your friend heated the soil with some sort of system ?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:19AM
cedar_wa(z8)

In our 4-H garden, we had Yellow Doll ripen without any protection. Accidently piled some darkish wood on the north side of the watermelons and they really warmed up.
This year we will use a small hoophouse, black plastic to warm the soil before putting in seedlings and use the dark wood once it gets warmer outdoors. The kids will start the seeds next week in a greenhouse.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 6:24PM
compulsivegrower(8)

Great to here cedar wa ! I think I am going to try to grow them this year

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 6:41PM
larry_gene

Yellow Doll and another orange-fleshed small melon did well here several years ago with no coverings. Started indoors with heat. Planted out early June, ripened in late September.

These are the small "icebox"-type melons, the bigger stuff will likely need all kinds of coverings.

Cottontail melon did well.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:18PM
Biblegeek119NW

I planted the heirloom variety in 2012 (doing again this year-13) right on the ground, uncovered and it gave 3 watermelons! I was told to get the variety called "Sugar Baby". Although it didn't ripe on the vine, I picked and left in the counter in my kitchen and in the end of Nov. beginning of December I cut it open and it was red, flavorful and filled with seeds :)

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™