Shredded paper as mulch?

goofyisgreen(Z8 PacNW)April 7, 2010

I'd like opinions or suggestions regarding the contemplated use of shredded old papers (business 8/5 x 11 with either inkjet or laserjet ink) as mulch or a soild amendment in the garden.

Is this advisable or inadvisable, and why? Will the inks cause any problems (papers are between 5 and 15 years old)? Also, how will/would adding this type of mulch or soil amendment affect the nutrient availability & content of the existing soil, particularly as relates to N-P-P and the trace minerals?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

I would not try using shredded paper as a mulch because much of it would blow into my neighbor's yards.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 12:22AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The Bottom Line
 Newspaper and cardboard sheet mulches can be effective for annual beds if they are properly
maintained.
 Sheet mulches can prevent water movement and gas exchange if they are too wet or too dry.
 Use site-appropriate mulch materials. Permanent, ornamental landscapes, non-maintained sites,
and restoration areas are not appropriate locations for newspaper and cardboard sheet mulches.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Myth of Paper-Based Sheet Mulch

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 4:38AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Shredded is a different application than sheet mulching. I see no harm in the addition of shredded paper in the soil other than maybe the ink toxicity, if it exists. Whether the ink is bad or good is what the OP is asking. That, I don't know. If the ink is good I see no harm in it though.
I have never used paper as a mulch or additive. It seems like a lot of work for a little organic gain. My paper goes in the recycle bin.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 7:14AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Will still pack down like grass clippings and have other characteristics of paper.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 12:28PM
larry_gene

PDX east wind will unpack it, unless it has transformed to paper mache'.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 12:29AM
goofyisgreen(Z8 PacNW)

Thanx for the responses. I will weigh them all before acting, although I'm leaning against, just was hoping I could get something beneficial after the shredding machine.

Into the recycle bin, it looks like.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 1:45AM
Sam_WA(7b/8a)

shredded paper makes an excellent addition to a compost pile, and especially worm bins. Its a good source of carbon when leaves or straw isn't available.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 4:19PM
goodbyekitty(Zone 6 Wa/Sunset 3)

I can see it used in a compost pile. I used some shedded paper once for a banana plant. I could see something wasn't right with the plant so I dug it out.

The dirt and paper it was in was so hot and saturated it freaked me out probably as much as the poor banana plant! It responded well after I changed the soil.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 9:16AM
mdvaden_of_oregon(NW Oregon)

goofyisgreen .....

Google "The Dark Side of Lasagna Gardening"

In regards to paper use in the garden, and what it means to recycling.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 11:44AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Bboy I said I didn't see any harm in the addition to shredded paper IN the soil, not ON it. It can be spaded in, for instance.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™